Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Climbing Sticks Arrived! >

Climbing Sticks Arrived!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Climbing Sticks Arrived!

Old 06-21-2008, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Climbing Sticks Arrived!

Saw the brown santa just dropped off 3 sets of 20' climbing sticks! This will be my first year going to hang-ons, and I already have two spots cleared, and ready to hang. Hopefully I will get them out in a week or so. Quick question though. I think I'm going to secure them with and additional chain/ratchet strap in addition to the straps that come with them (for extra security). Do any of you guys do that as well? Anyways, I'm getting the itch again!
Old 06-21-2008, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Climbing Sticks Arrived!

I secure all my climbing sticks with extra ratchet straps especially at the top when you step off they have a tendency to move a little the extra ratchets make it real secure.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

Another tip set your stand so when you are stepping off your climbing stick you are stepping down. and put them close enough to your stand that you don't have to hang on to the tree to much to get on to come down. the closer to the stand the better.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:39 AM
Fork Horn

Matt,

I always use extra ratchet straps on my climbing sticks, it's over kill but when your climbing up and down in the dark you certainly feel more comfortable.

Another tip I do is to use and extra ratchet strap on my hang on stand as well. One strap around the top and one around the bottom. It really secures the stand too the tree for a rock solid set up.

Good luck and take care.

Brian
Old 06-21-2008, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

i always put a back up strap to help secure it and i just feel better knowing that there is another strap to hold it if the first fails
Old 06-21-2008, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ratchet straps work great!
Old 06-21-2008, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeh i gotta get some of those soon, I borrowed Gmmats last year. Thanks bud
Old 06-21-2008, 04:26 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Fletch

I secure all my climbing sticks with extra ratchet straps especially at the top when you step off they have a tendency to move a little the extra ratchets make it real secure.

I do also...and step down onto stand as Fletch also recommended.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:45 PM
Fork Horn

use duct tape.. its cheaper..

..joke.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:11 AM
Dominant Buck

YUP, I use a rachet strap at the top. With the 20 footers you can have a couple feet above the stand platform and still be 18 feet up. I run the extra rachet around the stand and the stick to give added strength to both. Sometimes it's good to add a couple screw in steps higher up to give you good handholds getting in and out of the stand. Make sure you get the stick stuck soundly to the ground or sunk until solid if it's loose soil. If you don't and you have it tied tight to the tree at the top with the rachet.. you could get separation of a section further down the tree if the stick settles more after you hung it.

Quick Reply: Climbing Sticks Arrived!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.