Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Camoflage question concerning pattern >

Camoflage question concerning pattern

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Camoflage question concerning pattern

Old 06-19-2008, 06:01 AM
Bartender

Default Camoflage question concerning pattern

Do you all use one pattern all season long or do you switch it up from early season to when the leaves
fall? If you do what different type of patterns are you guys/girls using?

I myself pretty much use one pattern all season long when it comes to archery season.
I feel as long as I blend inI can get away with very minimal movement that should suffice.
It seems some of these patterns out there I cant understand for the life of me on how
some are blending in up in a tree.

Back to the movement part I believe if you move and a buck catches you doing this
long as you freeze up you can get away with it sometimes especially during the rut.
Your thoughts?
Back in 2006 I was pulling back and my 168 jerked his head up and I froze in mid pull
and held it for about 30 seconds and he went back to what he was doing and the
rest was history.If it was not for blending in I believe he would of been gone.
Granted it was the rut do you think this could of caused him to let his guard down?
How many of you have moved and got busted but still closed the deal with a bow?
Like to hear the stories behind it please.

EDIT: Also how high of importance do you put into your camo?

T
Old 06-19-2008, 06:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Camoflage question concerning pattern

Depends on whats clean!
Old 06-19-2008, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: peakrut

Do you all use one pattern all season long or do you switch it up from early season to when the leaves

I myself pretty much use one pattern all season long when it comes to archery season.
I feel as long as I blend inI can get away with very minimal movement that should suffice.
It seems some of these patterns out there I cant understand for the life of me on how
some are blending in up in a tree.

Back to the movement part I believe if you move and a buck catches you doing this
long as you freeze up you can get away with it sometimes especially during the rut.
Your thoughts?
Back in 2006 I was pulling back and my 168 jerked his head up and I froze in mid pull
and held it for about 30 seconds and he went back to what he was doing and the
rest was history.If it was not for blending in I believe he would of been gone.
Granted it was the rut do you think this could of caused him to let his guard down?
Like to hear the stories behind it please.

T
I have a 3d leafy pattern that I wear a lot in early season or Realtree Hardwoods depending on the tree I plan on huntiing. I also have a pattern that I picked up that I have never seen, it has a more chartreuse/yellow colored leaf. I wear it in one treestand that has a similar colored tree growing next to it. I want to pick up some of the tree bark pattern camo though, the stuff GregH and Matt/PA have had on in pics, that stuff seems to blend in the best for most of the trees I hunt. I have a spare bedroom in my house that is wall to wall camo but there is never enough patterns and temp ranges to cover
Old 06-19-2008, 06:17 AM
Bartender

Race I got some of that tree bark (ultimatecamo.com) camo and its the real deal except my fat arse
ordered the wrong size pants.[:@]I lose all this weight figuring a medium would fit.
But this is why I am using one pattern all season long.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: peakrut

Race I got some of that tree bark (ultimatecamo.com) camo and its the real deal except my fat arse
ordered the wrong size pants.[:@]I lose all this weight figuring a medium would fit.
But this is why I am using one pattern all season long.
Yeah, that is the stuff I am talking about. I keep looking into the camo collection and nothing seems as effective as the ultimate camo. I have shot a few deer that caught movement and looked up at me only to put their heads down so my current stuff is working ok but ultimate camo is sweet looking stuff.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:22 AM
Bartender

If you happen to come up with MECHDOC to chain o lakes archery range I can let you check
it out if you want?

T
Old 06-19-2008, 06:32 AM
Dominant Buck

During the early part of the season, T.....I use whatever is coolest. Andy's new pattern AND the weight of the garments (Ultimate Camo Co.) will be my choice for early season, this year. While the leaves are still on the trees......I feel this pattern will be perfect.

Once leaf drop occurs....I switch to a more open pattern (and I use two different open pattern camo choices).

Your thoughts?
I agree.....and find the actual camo pattern not THAT important. The number of deer I've killed....that have actually spotted me....is few.

I have....and I've also had the gig be up at this moment (on a buck I DID take, a few days later). It's a touch and go moment.....and I actually like it when they "win", sometimes. Makes me try, harder.

Also how high of importance do you put into your camo?
Comfort, wearabilityand durability mean more to me than "pattern". Like I said....we're seldom actually detected.....and I don't think that has to do with the camo pattern all that often. I feel like camo patterns are sold MAINLY for the hunters and not the prey. If you'd guarantee hunters they'd kill more/bigger deer in pink coveralls......most would still choose to wear their favorite pattern. I believe that 100%.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:34 AM
Bartender

Fair enough Jeff thanks buddy.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use my Predator evolution year round, as my outer layer. If it's rainy I have a gore tex Konifer pattern but it doesn't blend in as well everywhere. I'll probably get a late season very open pattern eventually.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:20 AM
Typical Buck

In early bow season if there are still green leaves on trees a pattern like realtree APG is perfect, however I have been using realtree AP (since switching from Mossy oak) and it seems to fit perfectly with my environment.

Its all about the environment...IMHO

Quick Reply: Camoflage question concerning pattern

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.