Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 10 Questions / Think On This >

10 Questions / Think On This

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

10 Questions / Think On This

Old 06-19-2008, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 10 Questions / Think On This

ttt
Old 06-20-2008, 08:56 AM
Typical Buck

If Donalds a duck, Mickeys a mouse, what the hell is Goofy?
ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

If Donalds a duck, Mickeys a mouse, what the hell is Goofy?
A dog, duh!!!!
Old 06-20-2008, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

1. Will there be bowhunting in 25 years?
2. How soon will we see 500 fps? (350 grain arrow)
3. What year will we pay 10 dollars a gallon for gas?
4. What salary do you consider to be on the poverty line?
5. What percentage of people on this site are hunters/ outdoorsmen or just plain hunters?

5 more later.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowtechben

1. Will there be bowhunting in 25 years?
No
2. How soon will we see 500 fps? (350 grain arrow)
never
3. What year will we pay 10 dollars a gallon for gas?
2030, The European union is paying 6.30 now... The US will surpass them if we do not stop burning our gas and complaining about it like tards. I bought a friggin vibe, just so that I can complain in the future.
4. What salary do you consider to be on the poverty line?
59,000... If you do not make at a minimal 60,000 then you cannot afford to live in the US.
5. What percentage of people on this site are hunters/ outdoorsmen or just plain hunters?
60% HUNTERS... 10% OUTDOORS MAN... 30% TOOLS

5 more later.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PABowhunter4life

2.) How can a bird with a brain the size of the walnut outsmart me so much?
Because he doesn't have to worry about your wife, your kids, your truck payment, your job,.......

See my point? All he has to worry about is "why is that tree moving?" and "look at the feathers on that honey".
Old 06-20-2008, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can heavily[/b] pressured[/b] mature bucks be killed outside the rut on a regular basis? (Legally)
They can be killed outside of the route but hunters who know how to untilize exit routes and use othere hunters to their advantage but I wouldn't say they can be killed on a regular basis.
Would you rather hunt a non-funnel area that is TORE up with scrapes and rubs or a more funnel-like area that has little overall deer sign?
During the pre-rut and rut, I would rather hunt a funnel with little sign than a different area that is tore up with sign. Outside of the rut I would rather hunt the sign.

How long without success do you go before making changes to your location and or tactics? Meaning, if you are in an area where you think you should be seeing and/or killing more of your intended target animals than you are; how long do you keep sticking with your approach before getting more aggressive or trying other tactics.
3 or 4 sits (sit meaning a morning hunt or an afternoon hunt)on a stand depending on my confidence level in the area. After, that I feel like reagrdless of how good the spot it, I need to let it rest anyway.

Every time you set foot in the woods to hunt, are you putting yourself in a situation where you feel you have the greatest chance at killing a deer?
No, I should be but sometimes circumstanes themselves prevent that from occuring. I try to put myself in the best situation to kill a deer, that I possibly can, given the circumstanes. However, hind-sight has shown me many times that failed to accomplish my goal.

How much effort do you put into hunting “lesser” properties over the course of a season?
TOO MUCH! But, most of the properties that I have access to, are "lesser properties".

o you think deer (and other game animals where applicable) should be managed solely for hunters & their enjoyment, or should it be a “resource first” approach, where a balance between habitat/herd and other influences are all considered?
On a state level, I think you have to take everything into consideration. On your own property, you should manage for wildlife as you see fit.

Do
we really need to raise our efforts to recruit more hunters, when land access is declining at a faster rate than hunter numbers, and EVERYONE complains of hunting lands being too crowded? Isn’t that backwards? More hunters fighting over less land can’t possibly be something good to look forward to.
I think so, as long as the anti-hunting lobby is there, we have to continue to recruit hunters b/c the stats say we are losing hunters and there is strength in numbers. If we don't recruit now, it may not be here for our kids or for their kids.

2. Do Bucks prefer to travel ridge tops, ridge edges, or bottomland during the pre-rut/rut?
Ridge edges seem to be the most prevalent in the area that I hunt.

What is themost common mistake (in your opinion) that bowhunters make that cause them to be busted by does or bucks?
Probably, moving too much or not hunting high enough causes us to get busted by the deer we see. The ones that bust us that we never see or hear is because they smelled us. The could be from a lack of scent control, or poor stand positioning or it could just be an unlucky wind shift.

4. Outside of the pre-rut/rut, have you seen more action in the morning or evenings.
Evenings.
5. In the pre-rut/rut, do you see more action in the mornings or evenings?
Mornings

What is "your" reasoning behind "staying out of rut stands" until the rut?
I don't want deer to pattern me, and stop using and area that gives me a tactical advantage due to terrain or some other feature.

When entereing or leaving your stand, do you "ever" use a light of any kind? Why do you feel the need?
Yes. Because I can't see in the dark. If there is enough light out, I won't use one. But, when it's pitch black and you are in thick ones, particularly with a climber on your back, I think you make far more of a disturbance by not turning your light on than you do by turning it on. I don't know if it helps or not but I use a red light when nec.

9. If walking thru a noisy, dry, leaf covered forest floor is your only entrance/exit route, do you go in before daylight and leave after dark? Or do you wait till first light to enter, and leave after dark?
It depends on the moon phase and when I have been seeing deer, but typically I just go in early and stay all day.

10 Do you really believe getting sweated up going into your stand set and then spraying/wiping down with scent killer helps? Explain your experience.
I don't know for sure because we can't see scent but my opionion is that it surely can't hurt if it helps reduce and or eliminate some of the odor created by sweating.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:55 PM

why do most hunters only focus the rack and only shoot bucks?

why do i get bugged when non-hunters talk like they hunt and stuff?
Old 06-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11

why do most hunters only focus the rack and only shoot bucks?
Because its not about the hunt anymore, Its about the antlers, and that's all.... unfortunately.

why do i get bugged when non-hunters talk like they hunt and stuff?
The only non hunters who talk like they hunt that I have heard from are on this forum....
Old 06-20-2008, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PABowhunter4life

1.) Why is it that if I think about drawing on a deer they take off yet they don't think the semi truck coming 80 mph at them warrants enough of a threat to get out of the way?

Some people believe that deer can sense danger. Greg Miller is a big believer in this. I have personally experienced it. The moment I made the decision to shoot one buck he imediately froze and looked in my direction. I didn't move or anything. I just decided to kill him. I can't explain it. As far as the semi, I think deer are blinded by the headlights in most cases. Deer get used to being around cars without being threatened.

2.) How can a bird with a brain the size of the walnut outsmart me so much?

I can't help you with this one.

3.) Why is it that even though you can't defy physics some people feel the need to tell us that their bows can?

Maybe they have a brain the size of a walnut

4.) Why do people spend $2,000 on a hunting set up then complain about the price of broadheads which is the one thing you absolutely need?

See the answer to #3

5.) Why is it that I can never leave well enough alone? No matter how dialed in my bow is I have to tinker and try something new?

Because your a guy. Thats what us guys do.

5 more to come later.........................
Old 06-20-2008, 10:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not many care to discuss real bowhunting topics I guess. Lol

Thanks to those who responded. I guess maybe everyone already knows most everything.

LT

Quick Reply: 10 Questions / Think On This

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.