Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Are you OLD SCHOOL? >

Are you OLD SCHOOL?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are you OLD SCHOOL?

Old 06-18-2008, 02:43 PM

Default Are you OLD SCHOOL?

Are you old school with your hunting techniques and/or equipment, or style of hunting??? Outside of the bow you have, most of us shoot compounds and shoot something at least 10 yr old or newer. What Im saying is do you rely on instincts and scouting for sign and known feeding/bedding areas. (old school) Or, do you have 5-10 trail cams, food plots out the rear end, study thermal winds, new rattling techniques, the latest calls, look for "pinch points" or "funnels" or "staging areas" ?? Do you read magazines and try the latest strategy, are you a nut for QDM? Or do you just go in the woods and find the usual scrapes, rubs, trails, acorns, droppings have produced in yrs past..?? How is your camo?? Is it like mine/? about 3 yrs old faded and torn with buttons missing?? Is your stand like mine??? heavy tobacco spit all over it, always makes anoise??? Are your boots old like mine, not water proof anymore. Or do you have all new stuff every year??? Are you old school or new age??? or, are you rich and can afford itor like me and broke???!!!
Old 06-18-2008, 02:48 PM

Default RE: Are you OLD SCHOOL?

I hunt big timber for the most part, so funnels and pinch points are only things of my dreams.... I will usually buy camo every other year or so.. Add a piece here, a piece there.... I typically hunt trails leading to food and/or bedding areas....I've been known to hunt a plot, but its rare... I use trail cams when Im not too lazy to actually put them out or go check them..

My clothes, bow, stand all have tobacco spit all over 'em... Nothing like getting a big 4 finger slide and settling in for a few hours
Old 06-18-2008, 03:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot an '07 Vectrix. My camo is 5 years old.Iuse XX75's, and hunt the same area I've hunted the last 5 years, so you decide.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm old school every which way but the trail cams I use. I have 1 of them and I just got my 2nd one by UPS as I type this.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am a combination of the two. Old school mindset.. new school of thought.

I have a philosophy on hunting whitetail and cordially follow it.

I read and study everything I can get my hands on.. but only for the reasons of knowledge. I am a student of whitetail deer hunting and most of all.. whitetail deer.

I use all manners of sign.. beginning with the earliest shed finds to my last hunt. Adaption is a hunters greatest asset.

As far as clothing and boots and treestands. I respect a whitetails senses FAR too much not to be extra careful in my preparation towards hunting an animal with such keen senses. I am constantly prepared with new equipment.

I am not rich... nor have I ever been. But I am willing to sacrifice certain things in my life to pursue my most favorite of creatures.. the whitetail.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm old school, I guess! I'm not into the trail cams and the next best thing! I do like quality gear and when I find it I stick with it! My deerhunting Rifles and my Shotgun are both older than I am! I would like things to be the way it used to be when I was a kid! Sure the newer bows and guns are great but I also liked the day when there was a mystique about a big ole buck and the only time you really seen one was when your were in the woods either hunting or scouting them! Not having a trail camera or video camera doing the things I love to do! All you have to do now is turn on your computer or the idiot box and you can see a buck get killed every 10 minutes or so!

I think technology has helped some hunters as individuals but is killing the sport as a whole! To each his own!
Old 06-18-2008, 03:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Im a mix, i like using all the new and current stuff but my financial ability makes me more of an old school type of hunter (kinda weird since im only 17 ).
Old 06-18-2008, 03:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Old school all the way. I'm not even close to rich and I kinda like it that way. I can't just go buy what I want so I make a lot of it myself. Looking for pinch points, funnels and staging areas IS old school. Old timers just called 'em hotspots until New Age'ers decided to give 'em fancy names.

Most of the camo I've got has been with me for a good 20 years and most of it doesn't even fit any more. (Gotta get to work on that.[&:]) Boots? I wear sneakers. Yes, even in snakey, thorny ol' Texas. If you're just blundering your way through the woods and not watching where you put your feet when you walk, you're making too much noise and you're going to miss seeing sign. Snakes and cacti are bigger and easier to see than dry twigs and deer tracks.

My stand is generally a 5-gallon bucket covered up with camo spray paint. Carry what goodies I need in it. Then when I get to my ground blind - that I make from the plants on hand - I turn it upside down and sit on it. I throw the bucket away when season's over and get a new one before season opens next year.

I do not practice QDM because I hunt public land. Only hunting magazines I've looked at in years are "Traditional Bowhunter" and "Primitive Archer." Good, old school publications. [8D]
Old 06-18-2008, 04:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

My bow is about 15 years old...I still shoot fingers, aluminum arrows with feathers, 125 Thunderheads or Muzzys...2 sight pins set at 15 yards for woods hunting and 25 for longer shots, don't use a stabilizer, don't use a peep..My APIs are at least 10-12 years old...Most of my camo is old and faded...I don't wear Scent Lok...My favorite deer call is probably 15 years old...

I could go hunt today and not have to scout simply because we have owned the same farms since the late 60s...I know where they will lay scrapes before they do...

I don't read hunting mags, most aren't worth a dang anymore...

I do use a Thermacell and have a 2 year old range finder, enjoy trying different scents...

We had a guest that came up to hunt with us last year, I found out that after he left my buddies had nicknamed him
"Fancy Boy"...Everything he had was brand new, looked like he just stepped out of a Cabelas catalogue....

I can say that after over 40 years of hunting that I enjoy it more than ever....

Old 06-18-2008, 04:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think technology has helped some hunters as individuals but is killing the sport as a whole! To each his own!
Well said Joe. Technology does help hunters, otherwise people wouldn't use it! But Technology IMO will wreck our hunting, Its already happening! To each his own though like BHF said.

Old school all the way. I'm not even close to rich and I kinda like it that way. I can't just go buy what I want so I make a lot of it myself. Looking for pinch points, funnels and staging areas IS old school. Old timers just called 'em hotspots until New Age'ers decided to give 'em fancy names.
Yeah Art the 1st time I heard someone say "staging area" I thought what the heck is that? I heard it on here for the 1st time. Glad to have you back Art! I missed your great replys buddy!!

Quick Reply: Are you OLD SCHOOL?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.