Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scrapes. Why?

Old 06-18-2008, 11:27 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Scrapes. Why?

Why would a buck work a scrape....and NOT urinate in it?

Is he not ready to mate (sounds unlikely)?

Trying to assert some sort of dominance issue by removing another buck's scent?

Other?

I've seen several work scrapes.....and even seen (what HAD to be "subordinate" bucks do so in the presence of a more dominant animal) multiple bucks use the exact same scrape in the presence of others.

Why would they work every other aspect of the scrape (licking branch......pawing of ground..) and NOT piss in it?

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scrapes. Why?

Why would a buck work a scrape....and NOT urinate in it?

Is he not ready to mate (sounds unlikely)?

Trying to assert some sort of dominance issue by removing another buck's scent?

Other?
IMO a buck might work a scrape and not piss in it so he could go undetected.....kinda like a jake keeping quiet so he don't get thumped by a Tom, but still coming intoa hencall......he just can't help it sometimes......

I've seen several work scrapes.....and even seen (what HAD to be "subordinate" bucks do so in the presence of a more dominant animal) multiple bucks use the exact same scrape in the presence of others.
Community scrapes.........Must not have been during peak rut time, or the dominate buck was not the one you thought it was.

Why would they work every other aspect of the scrape (licking branch......pawing of ground..) and NOT piss in it?
So they don't get thumped imo.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got some good pics of 2 different bucks and a couple does working a licking branch yesterday. Haven't seen a scrape therethough. Might have to try a mock there and see if anything happens.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Probably because there might not be the competition and not the right time of year. In most cases I'm sure there pissing in it, they are just not doing it when you see them. Depends on the age too I think.

I've seen many 1.5 year old bucks in late October to early November with dry hocks. They are horny but they are not sure why and I'm not so sure If they know what to do anyway when they get this way. Some do it and some don't when it comes to 1.5's I think.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Community scrapes.........Must not have been during peak rut time, or the dominate buck was not the one you thought it was.
You're likely right ont he first assertion.....but I've always felt that the "dominant" buck was sort of (at any given time) a result of who was actually present. I could be wrong, for sure. What I mean is......as long as THE dominant buck for an area isn't around.....whoever's present is gonna assume that role.

I'm not saying the two I witnessed work the scrape (in the presence of the older buck) would have done so in the presence of THE dominant buck for the area (I don't believe they would have).....but if my theory is correct.....it would seem "odd", to me, that they'd chance it even then (in the presence of the older buck).
Old 06-18-2008, 11:53 AM
Typical Buck

He may have already pissed in 5-6 scrapes prior and cant anymore... lol jk..

I think earlier in the season, it is more or less just a territory marker, then when things start heating up they start getting more aggresive and pissing in them.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe the same reason we don't always have sex in the same place. Maybe just like us, pissing outside sometimes and not in the toilet. jmho
Old 06-18-2008, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

You're likely right ont he first assertion.....but I've always felt that the "dominant" buck was sort of (at any given time) a result of who was actually present. I could be wrong, for sure. What I mean is......as long as THE dominant buck for an area isn't around.....whoever's present is gonna assume that role.

I'm not saying the two I witnessed work the scrape (in the presence of the older buck) would have done so in the presence of THE dominant buck for the area (I don't believe they would have).....but if my theory is correct.....it would seem "odd", to me, that they'd chance it even then (in the presence of the older buck).
Possible Jeff, but I am not sure if there is a pecking order as you are describing. Makes sense if an esterous doe is around, but I am not sure if itholds true ant any given time.......

Heck, look at Bachelor groups......dominance is not really even obvisous when they are running together in the summer.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Gus you may be right.....with the pecking order not even making a difference if the does aren't ready. I just kinda thought if they were already making scrapes (and out of bachelor groups)....that they might be prone to dominance issues. I honestly have no idea, though. I have no idea if dominance is only affected by a true, "hot" doe's presence.....but it's interesting, now, to think back to times when I've seen multiple bucks in an area......when they WERE out of bachelor groups. Though my experience with that is limited ot a few times.....I can tell ya the bucks were "antsy" of each other's presence....and in one instance sparring with multiple "opponents".

Just trying to learn more of why they do what they do.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Urinating on the ground is just part of the scent puzzle at a scrape. Bucks work overhanging branches at all times of the year. I would say it's timing, mood of the buck, etc. I'm not even sure the ground is the most important part of a scrape. A lot of animals will urinate in a scrape, Coyote, Fox, Man[8D]etc.

Dan

Quick Reply: Scrapes. Why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.