Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Water Sources?

Old 06-18-2008, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Water Sources?

Just a quick question to everyone.

Has anyone here ever taken a Whitetail buck over a water source? (ie., drinking, about to drink, just had a drink)

Also, do you believe you have taken one coming from/going to a water source?

LT
Old 06-18-2008, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Water Sources?

Funny question. Well I missed a nice 10 pointer last year coming to get a drink during the rut in a big waterhole we dug out. Mind you this was at like 1 in the afternoon too.

Bucks love water sources during the rut and I love to set up over them!
Old 06-18-2008, 12:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have taken a couple. It depends on the year (drier years are best) I don't put much time in on water holes, but if I hunt early Bow season Acorns and Water holes in dry years are the 1st places I check.

Dan
Old 06-18-2008, 12:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I live and breath by water sources! The water source in my woods is a small swamp/lake on the south side of my woods. The best water source I have though is a creek that is spring fed. There's actually 2 creeks that are spring fed and they start on the north edge of my woods and go directly to the lake. Deer love these, at least in my woods they do. I usually find a good number of scrapes on these creeks as well come late October.

The buck I shot last year came from the cat tails/lake on the south side of the woods. I've seen many other bucks come to the creeks and drink, they get thirsty too! Easy food source to hunt if your wind is right.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

One of the places I'll be hanging a stand on the new land I'll be hunting this year will be on a trail leading to a pond. It is the only large source on the property and I have seen several deer drinking there. I think in the heat of the early season I'll see some action there.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

One of the places I'll be hanging a stand on the new land I'll be hunting this year will be on a trail leading to a pond. It is the only large source on the property and I have seen several deer drinking there. I think in the heat of the early season I'll see some action there.
I am sure you will!! Sounds like a great setup.

Dan
Old 06-18-2008, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well i havent really hunted a water source to much but this year i moved by a River on the east side of me, a pond or marsh or watever on the west side with 5 feet of water in it or so... and a water hole on the northwest side of me... And im hunting on a major runway that they use year round... So it should be a good year for me hopefully...
Old 06-18-2008, 06:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've never actually hunted a water source, but I've found a number of my deer dead next to them!
Old 06-18-2008, 06:31 PM
Typical Buck

I have killed deer at a watering hole,about 15 years ago I had ascess to some land that did not a good watersource on it,I found a hole about 6ft square and was eat up with tracks so I strapped my climber and waited it seems that all the critters came to drink,including the deer,now granted it was dry and water was in short supply but it was good while it lasted.This october i will be hunting a water sorce also because it is usually hot and dry here the only thing is that it is a creek that runs through my entire property so narrowing down that one speicial spot will be a challenge I think I know of just the spot,I guess I'll find out I found this spot after the season closed so I never hunted it before.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Around here there is water everywhere so it is difficult to pin point where they will be getting a drink. I have however killed several while at a crossing point of water. I still find the best sign around here at or around the river bottoms.

Quick Reply: Water Sources?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.