Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Any amputee bowhunters out there? >

Any amputee bowhunters out there?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Any amputee bowhunters out there?

Old 06-17-2008, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Any amputee bowhunters out there?

15 months ago my dad (who has always been an avid bowhunter) was in a real bad motorcycle accident. He was riding down a 2 lane country road going about 60 mph when a lady pulled out in front of him at the last minute. His left leg was crushed between his Harley and the car. He's had 10 operations since then trying to save his foot and lower leg but it's just not working. So now the doctors recommend amputation, and he's decided to end the pain and go ahead with it.

He's optimistic that with a good prosthetic leg he'll be able to walk and hunt again. He's having his leg cut off about six inches below the knee. I'm hoping that by this fall I can get him into a ground blind and eventually (a year or two from now)into a ladder stand. Are there any amputee bowhunters out there?

I'd love to hear about your experiences. Can you still get out and bowunt? Can you climb into a treestand with a prosthetic foot / leg? What can you do? Any recommendations on making things easier? Thanks!
Old 06-17-2008, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Any amputee bowhunters out there?

Sorry for your dad. It must be a lot of pain going through all that. Hopefully he goes well with the operation.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

My best bud and main hunting partner had his right arm amputated due to bone cancer. He not only found a way to get into the woods, but he likely wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for his desire to be in the woods. Not only is he hunting, but he has found a way to win 2x world championships, and countless state titles as well shooting his bow.

If he found a way to do it with one arm, your Dad can find a way to do it with one leg. Show these pics to your Dad, hopefully it will get the fires of desire good and hot for him. I wish him the best of luck, and hope the both of you have many more days afield in front of you.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

wow that is great to over come the odds. Just how does he draw the bow ?
Old 06-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-17-2008, 07:33 PM

Best of luck to your dad. My cousin had her leg amputated just below the knee a few years back. Hers was due to a blood clot from having Lupis though. The doctor came in and put it simply, I can take your leg or the clot will take your life. Really wasn't much of a choice.

She now rocks an American flag prosthetic leg and gets around fine. She handles the stairs like she has two legs. I'm not sure about ladders though. I could give her a call and ask her if she has ever climbed a ladder with it, if you'd like me to.

The good thing about the legs these days, is that they are soo advanced that she said as long as she is wearing pants, she literally forgets her leg isnt there sometimes. She did say that it is really painful on your leg until the stump(for lack of a better word) toughens up.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry to hear about your dad! In 1988 I had a similair accident. A lady who was drunk and on drugs ran a stop sign and crushed my leg between the car and my bike, I was going about 45mph! The only thing that was holding it on was the skin, just below the knee. They took my stomach muscles out of my right side to use on my leg, as there wasn't much left. It was the first time they had ever tried this.They told me that if I had gone anywhere else they would of probably just had taken it off. Since I was young/ healthy enough they went ahead and experimented with this muscule graph. Theyborrowed veins from my other leg, along with a bunch of skin graphs. After months/yearsof healing and rehab it hasbeen working pretty good. Although not 100 %, I can deffinately relate to yourDad! I hope everything goes well for him and he recoversquickly!!!

I'll send a pray to the man upstairs to help your dad through this rough time! He will be back hunting in no time!

Crutch