Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need Help on creating a mineral lick. >

Need Help on creating a mineral lick.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need Help on creating a mineral lick.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default Need Help on creating a mineral lick.

Need ideas on creating a mineral lick. Any suggestions will be helpful.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:54 AM

Default RE: Need Help on creating a mineral lick.

We make our own. 2 parts trace mineral to 1 partdicalcium phosphateand 1 part sodium bicarb. The "parts" can be whatever, we use a coffee can...but it doesn't matter as long as it's that ratio. Dig a hole, dump it in, and mix it up. Easy peasy.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:54 AM
Typical Buck

Here is a real simple recipe for mineral mix: 30% salt, 35% beef mineral mix (without salt), 35% Dairy mineral Mix (without salt) Any co-op can mix this for you in any weight you want! Deer need mineral all year long, this mix will help doe, fawn and buck. The process of growing antlers begins the day after they drop, and always remember that 98% of the mineral ingested by deer will be used for bones and teeth etc. A deer will eat about 1 ounce of mineral per day as long as the salt is not above 30%, salt works for deer just like it does for you. A little enhances the mineral, too much will cause them to stop eating the mineral before they have enough to do their bodies good. Always place the mineral on clay or harder soil, or the salt will wash out into the dirt and deer will eat the dirt for the salt and avoid the mineral. If it rains alot, freshen your mineral mix with plain salt. Do this because mineral is bitter, and salt makes it tast better.......Always wear rubber boots when mixing your mineral site or freshing it......if legal place mineral to the side of your stand that you do not approach from, it may draw you some deer.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:11 PM

ORIGINAL: mobow

We make our own. 2 parts trace mineral to 1 partdicalcium phosphateand 1 part sodium bicarb. The "parts" can be whatever, we use a coffee can...but it doesn't matter as long as it's that ratio. Dig a hole, dump it in, and mix it up. Easy peasy.
This is what I do
Old 06-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would just add to check your laws to make sure it is legal. It's not here in NY.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use 2 parts trace minerals and 1 part dicalcium phosphate and 1 part Buck Grub. The Buck Grub gives it some extra aroma for attraction and adds some fat and protein to the mix. This is the first year I've tried it and the the deer are tearing it up.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:04 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

I use 2 parts trace minerals and 1 part dicalcium phosphate and 1 part Buck Grub. The Buck Grub gives it some extra aroma for attraction and adds some fat and protein to the mix. This is the first year I've tried it and the the deer are tearing it up.
where would you guys buy this stuff? where do you get these ingrediants from? thanks... im intersted in making my own Mineral Licks or what not here at home, and when i get a chance to go upstate.. place them strategiacally. thanks guys
Old 06-16-2008, 10:12 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-16-2008, 10:19 PM
Fork Horn

thanks DT, thats a really nice explanation.. im in ny so im sure the same weather cirucmstances as you in Jerzy.
what does is cost you to make a 50# mineral site.. ?