Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tell us something (hunting or animal-related) that we don't know. >

Tell us something (hunting or animal-related) that we don't know.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tell us something (hunting or animal-related) that we don't know.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Tell us something (hunting or animal-related) that we don't know.

Coyotes bed in sheltered areas, but do not use dens except when raising young, during severe weather or when they are being chased. Dens will have an entrance about a foot in diameter and are usually holes that have been used first by another animal like badgers or foxes.
Coyote victims are identified by puncture wounds in the head and throat area with soft tissues such as liver and kidneys eaten. This differs from dogs in the respect that dogs attack the hind quarter of animals and leave them mutilated. Both coyotes and dogs attack prey on the spot and do not drag the carcass away.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:42 AM
Typical Buck

[align=center]

[align=center][/align]

A recent survey of U.S. farm leaders revealed that as many as 56% believed they had suffered crop damage by wildlife and the Whitetail deer was named as the primary culprit.

Pennsylvania farmers suffer crop damage of an estimated $30 million annually, Wisconsin estimates it's farmers are hit for $37 million annually.

Back in 1995, conservative estimates place deer-car collisions in the us at over 500,000 annually.Vehicle damage is in the hundreds of millions of dollars.

The annual damage in New Jersey alone is estimated to exceed $10 million dollars. These accidents resulted in thousands of injuries and over 100 deaths.

Suburban home owners spend thousands of dollars on replacing landscaping plants defoliated or damaged by deer.

In 1995, Lyme disease was considered to be the fastest growing infectious disease next to AIDS. Some scientists see a strong link between high deer densities and Lyme disease.

In Pennsylvania, a state that tracks deer-vehicle collisions, there are over 40,000 deer-vehicle collisions annually.

Based on Pennsylvania's experience, VDGIF conservatively estimates the annual vehicle damage caused deer-vehicle collisions to exceed 25 million dollars.

Even more important is the cost in human life. During the 1985-1994 period, 12 fatalities were reported as a result of deer-vehicle collisions in Virginia.[/align]

In areas of overpopulation, deer cause an over browsing affect called a "browse line". In areas with a browse line, most plant species below the browse line are stripped bare damaging the habitat for many species. These brows lines can be from four to six feet high.

Deer establish a territory and will not leave it.

Deer are known to starve rather than leave their domain.

Just 2 deer without predation can produce a herd of up to 35 deer in just 7 years.

Deer can live up to 11 years in the wild.

Under optimal conditions without regulating factors like predators or hunting, deer populations can double in size annually.

Two of the considerations used when establishing a deer management plan are Biological Carrying Capacity (BCC) and Cultural Carrying Capacity (CCC).
Old 06-16-2008, 10:46 AM

When an armadillo has young, there is always 4 of them and they are either all males or all females.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:10 AM
Typical Buck

ok, here goes;

leafcutter ants don't eat the leafs, they live on a fungus that they keep in their mounts and the fungus lives on decaying leaves.
They have a chamber where they let the fungus try out the different kinds of leafs.
If the fungus dislikes the taste of the leaf or doesn't grow well, a feromon trail is set out and all at once the ants drop that specific kind of leaf and leave that tree or plant asap.
A small mini ant is sometimes carried on the leaf itself, this smaller ant with bigger mandibles keeps away a fly type that lays it's eggs in the heads of the carrier ants.

More people get killed by a bird than by car accidents in Papoa New Ginea, the bird is a Casuaris. Ostrich type with a temper !!! I have bred and sold them.

Ostriches can be found in South america, Africa and Australia.
Wallabie kangaroo females get impregnated double, first they have one joey and the second embryo begins to grow after the first one has left the pouch.
kangaroo embryos travel from the uterus to the pouch when they are born, they are as small as a baby mouse.

I'll think of some more later

Frank
Old 06-16-2008, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fran,I just want to know why you know so much about wood chucks? An elective course in law school?
Once again you continue to fascinate and amuse me!
Old 06-16-2008, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Whether an alligator is a male or female is determined by the temperature of the nest where the egg is hatched – 90 to 93 degrees will make it a male; 82 to 86 degrees will turn it into a female.

So, now that proves it.....women are cold blooded.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Fran and Matt,they are an exceptionally paranoid animal.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:05 PM
Typical Buck

Carpenter ants don't build anything!!!!

Spudrow from Mo
Old 06-16-2008, 12:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Splitear_Leland

Over 80% of the world's monkey population is made up of monkeys. Each year, hundreds of ants die due to monkey attack. Researchers believe this number would be far less if ants were as big if not bigger than monkeys.
LMAO

Never knew coyotes only used the dens for raisin young, pretty interesting.

My groundhog tip:

Having troubles? Feeling frustrated that the little furry rodent is handing your butt to you when it comes to outsmarting each other? I have your solution. Use the ultimate groundhog killing setup. Pretty simple, and he wont know what hit him. Alls you need is a garden hose, water supply, tarp, and weapon of choice.

Let's assume the groundhog has holed up underneath your barn or in your garden, not cool and you want him gone. Locate both holes to his den, there are ALWAYS two. Trust me, if you can only find one....you arent looking hard enough. Wait until you see him enter his den, or to be more creative chase him into his hole while trying to capture him on foot. 100 cool points for catching them on foot. Just dont pull a Jackie Bushman and take after em with a ductaped fish net, it will make you look gay...extremely gay.

Once the groundhog is confirmed hiding in the hole, time to unleash the wrath. Run the hose down his secondary hole, fill it in with dirt or a tire, just block him from escaping. Turn the water on full blast, and go to his main entrance. Stretch a tarp over it. Sit back with weapon of choice and wait. It will take 10-15 minutes for the hole to fill completely with water....and he will stay in there until there isnt one bubble of air left.

Once you see something bumping up on the tarp, you've got him. Pull it back to dispatch him. This is where it gets unique. Be creative, don't hold back. This is your time to explore, we have successfully dispatched whistelpigs with old golf clubs and ball bats before we were old enough for guns. Then came guns of all sorts ( DO NOT USE .30-06), and even the bow and arrow. All worked but became uninteresting. Prove your manhood, after you get it down, try grabbing one. I never did it, but I watched my Grandpa reach down and grab one between the ears on the back of its neck and pull it from the water. You only THINK you have seen a pissed off groundhog. This is not advised, unless simply you want to try something new and prove your manlihood over that little devil. Wars with whistlepigs become personal very quick, so prepare for some frustration, swearing, waiting, and sweet sweet revenge when it works out.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:49 PM
Site Buck Guru

Few people have ever heard of the Austrialian Ohno bird.

It's a peculiar looking bird with feathers that closely resemble hair. It stands about 24" tall, has 4" legs and 6" balls. Every time it comes in for a landing, you can hear it's cry..... Oh No!, Oh No!

Quick Reply: Tell us something (hunting or animal-related) that we don't know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.