Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Single Cam and Dual Cam Bows ? >

Single Cam and Dual Cam Bows ?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Single Cam and Dual Cam Bows ?

Old 06-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Single Cam and Dual Cam Bows ?

As a second Bow i was thinking of getting maybe the black ice , marquis or the Bowtech nitrous . My question is this , what are the advantages and disadvantages of having a single cam bow ( easier draw etc , please tell me ).... Remember i have12months experience on bows , sohave notlearn'tsome things yet
I normally shoot my X-Force Dream Season 65#
Old 06-12-2008, 04:12 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: Single Cam and Dual Cam Bows ?

I think it's half a dozen in one hand and six in the other. You will get strong opinions for both. It all depends on the bow itself as far as draw cycle, draw stop, valley, etc... You will find butter smooth and rough as hell with both types. I started out shootingdual cam bows, I've owned and shot many over the years and fiddled with them constantly. I also own a hybrid cam bow, cam and 1/2 or what ever you want to call it.

A few years back I decided to tryout single cam bows and personally, I think they are way more "user friendly" than dual, hybrid, binary, etc.. cam bows. That's just my opinion so take it for what it's worth. I love the simplicity of a single cam bow, especially for hunting (all I do, no competition, 3D, etc...). For me they are extremely easy to work on and stay consistent year in and year out. With the advent of better quality strings and cables a lot of the timing issues with dual cam bows is gone now, but the same can be said with single cam bows, gone are the days of string creep with that long string they utilize so it's a wash between the two.

I'm not against dual cam bows, not at all. I might even buy another some day, but for now I'll stick with the single cam design. IMHO, it's a simpler and better design.

This should get interesting......
Old 06-12-2008, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Compared to your XForce, just about anything will be smooth and easy to draw. Its really an exaggerated example of a dual cam, as is the 82nd.... but its physics... and you cannot have kinetic energy without potential energy first.

A single cam bow will be much smoother and much easier to draw in comparison to your x Force or most other fast/aggressive cam styles. Of course with the good comes the bad... you lose speed. However if you ask me, losing speed ain't exactly bad.... it is much easier to control an arrow at a lower speed, and knowing exactly where your arrow hit (its difficult to see arrows much over 275 fps) is critical to finding a wounded animal. If you know you made a bad shot, you know what to do. It doesn't leave you guessing. Also, not everyone is as strong as BigJ is... I know I cannot draw a 70# X Forcwe sitting down.... I bet I could scantly do it standing up..... but a smoother draw allows you to draw the bow in compromised positions... and sometimes thats how it goes down.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cheers BigJ and Swampcollie ,
i think the single cam will be ideal for my attempt in target and field later this year . Although i'm still not sure which to go for , i will hopefully get to try some single cam bows out in September when i come over and if i can find a good deal ... i may even buy their and then .
Old 06-13-2008, 02:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Pretty good summations up above, and saves the rest of us some typing.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:43 PM
Host of Hosts

Greg..are you getting lazy in your old age?