Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting Technology Plateau >

Bowhunting Technology Plateau

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting Technology Plateau

Old 06-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bowhunting Technology Plateau

Fran's post got me thinking...

The Model 600 Remington rifle in my avatar was bought (used) in 1982. It is wearing its second barrel, third stock and the same Leupold scope thatresided under the tree that December. In 25 years, I have spent about $1000 on the new HS precision stock and a newShilen barrel - about $40 per year. The rifle shoots sub-MOA groups with a wide variety of .308 ammo, carries like a dream and has killed a lot of deer. Sentimentality aside, there is no imaginable advance in rifle technology that could produce a more efficient/accurate/handy Eastern whitetail rifle.

At present, if I want the most efficient/accurate/handy bow this fall, it will cost me $800. Next fall, this fall's bow will be as antiquated as my 'Ole' 2006 Allegiance and it will cost $850 to keep up.

Do you think (at some point) bow technology will plateau and the same bow might be equally desirablefall after fall?
Old 06-08-2008, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bowhunting Technology Plateau

Good question!! Will be interesting to see what people have to say..
Old 06-08-2008, 08:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: kwilson16
Do you think (at some point) bow technology will plateau and the same bow might be equally desirablefall after fall?
No, as long as companies are putting a different year on the bows, people will keep giving up their old bows for them. Regardless if theya re similar or not, guys just want to say they have the newest bow out. Atleast MANY do this.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:44 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-08-2008, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

And, like I said...PSE is the manufacturer to keep an eye on. They have suprassed bowtech already and gaining on the rest.
As someone that has no stake in either manufacturer.......I'm curious to know what you mean by this? In terms of bow volume, technology? Help us to understand your statement in a bit more detail.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here's my thought on the subject.

PSE made a huge leap with the XForce. They were kind of treading water for a while. The "X Technology is pretty solid, and the bows will flat out shoot. PSE covers a broad range of bows. They offer some really solid target bows (MoneyMaker, Shark X, and even the Mossy Oak X). There were a ton of PSE's at the ASA, it kind of blew my mind. Not nearly as many as Mathews but still impressive. One thing that impressed me with PSE was the fact they are getting speed out of EVERY hybrid cam system they are putting out (so is Bowtech). What impressed me in their lineup is the Rogue X. That bow puts out 330fps at a great price point for hunters. I'm expecting to sell a ton of those this year at the shot. PSE also has a nice single cam, with the NRG NI cam. (It's what is on my Shark) The Shark X, is by far the best shooting bow I've owned, but I don't have much to judge that on.

I think Bowtech is a solid company too, I just don't know as much about them. I've said from the beginning that I love the Airborne's. I love the specs on them. I don't know just how well they shoot, I haven't ever shot one extensively downrange.

Bowtech just hasn't seemed to find a place in the target archery world yet. There aren't any successful ASA Pro's shooting them. I doubt it's the fact that they won't shoot, once again I don't know, I haven't been able to shoot one down range extensively. I just don't think Bowtech really pays out any contingency. The ASA doesn't pay the pro's enough as it is, so they have to rely on contingency. That's my opinion though. PSE has some GREAT shooters on their Factory Staff. I mean Adam is 3rd in shooter of the year, Nathan took 2nd at Augusta, Chance took 2nd in London, and first in Mississippi. Chance also won Vegas 2 years ago. So they've got some solid shooters on staff.

Technology wise I think Bowtech and PSE are the top 2. I'm not sure anyone could argue otherwise. Mathews is idle, and Hoyt didn't do too much in the past few years, however the Vantage X7 and X8's are sweet bows. The only reason PSE MIGHT be considered ahead of Bowtech is because of the depth of the PSE lineup.

I don't think that you could make an arguement that any company is ahead of Bowtech and PSE. I think PSE as of right now, might have them edged out, but that's because they have such a deep and versatile lineup. I'm not including the Diamond lineup, but if you include it, it's neck and neck.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Matt/TN

Here's my thought on the subject.

PSE made a huge leap with the XForce. They were kind of treading water for a while. The "X Technology is pretty solid, and the bows will flat out shoot. PSE covers a broad range of bows. They offer some really solid target bows (MoneyMaker, Shark X, and even the Mossy Oak X). There were a ton of PSE's at the ASA, it kind of blew my mind. Not nearly as many as Mathews but still impressive. One thing that impressed me with PSE was the fact they are getting speed out of EVERY hybrid cam system they are putting out (so is Bowtech). What impressed me in their lineup is the Rogue X. That bow puts out 330fps at a great price point for hunters. I'm expecting to sell a ton of those this year at the shot. PSE also has a nice single cam, with the NRG NI cam. (It's what is on my Shark) The Shark X, is by far the best shooting bow I've owned, but I don't have much to judge that on.

I think Bowtech is a solid company too, I just don't know as much about them. I've said from the beginning that I love the Airborne's. I love the specs on them. I don't know just how well they shoot, I haven't ever shot one extensively downrange.

Bowtech just hasn't seemed to find a place in the target archery world yet. There aren't any successful ASA Pro's shooting them. I doubt it's the fact that they won't shoot, once again I don't know, I haven't been able to shoot one down range extensively. I just don't think Bowtech really pays out any contingency. The ASA doesn't pay the pro's enough as it is, so they have to rely on contingency. That's my opinion though. PSE has some GREAT shooters on their Factory Staff. I mean Adam is 3rd in shooter of the year, Nathan took 2nd at Augusta, Chance took 2nd in London, and first in Mississippi. Chance also won Vegas 2 years ago. So they've got some solid shooters on staff.

Technology wise I think Bowtech and PSE are the top 2. I'm not sure anyone could argue otherwise. Mathews is idle, and Hoyt didn't do too much in the past few years, however the Vantage X7 and X8's are sweet bows. The only reason PSE MIGHT be considered ahead of Bowtech is because of the depth of the PSE lineup.

I don't think that you could make an arguement that any company is ahead of Bowtech and PSE. I think PSE as of right now, might have them edged out, but that's because they have such a deep and versatile lineup. I'm not including the Diamond lineup, but if you include it, it's neck and neck.
I agree. And lets not forget that Bowtech bought Ross.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:32 AM

My opinion There is no comparing bowtech matthews and hoyt to PSE bowtech matthews and hoyt are all much better bows IMO. PSE only get a claim becuase they make every single thing under the sun for archery. I would say top to matthews and bowtech not in any order. Now based on speed is the 82nd Airborne with a 350 grain arrow 26 draw at 70 lbs shoots at 310fps well buddy Thats fast a pse with my draw length will not come close to that so there for Bowtech number 1 ons speed. These are my views not meant to get anybodys panties in a knot.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, I'll add my 2 cents.

I think most people get realy hung up on technology. After all bows killed animals forthosands of yearsand all they were we stick and string. Yes efficency has come a good ways in the last100 years but isit realy anything new.Most everything in archery had been done over 100 years ago. What!!??!! you say... well cosider that the "compound" isn't realy all thatnew of an idea. Therewhere bows that used another part to compound the force ofpull. I forget the name. Sure manufaturing has come a long way and materials too but does it make the deer more dead....

Not trying to start a fight I'm saying alot of the technology realy isn't a huge gain. 10 fps isn't much. You'll hardly notice it and the deer won't. Acuracy is more important and if your hung up on technology you may one day find that if you'd let the newest, greatest, fastest, gadget train go by you may end up enjoying archery more and shoot better too.

I in no way intend for this to sound anti compound or anti speed bow. I just think the money spent on a new bow every year or sooner just to sya your bow is fastest and is better is kinda silly. Sure if you got the money more power to ya. I just don't get it anymore....

Of course I'm cheap too....LOL

Old 06-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think it plateaued awhile ago.With the speed issue,cams have changed a bit but I think it's mostly going from an AMO rating to an IBO rating.I'd be curious to see what these speed bows shoot under the old AMO--less draw weight and heavier arrow.

Quick Reply: Bowhunting Technology Plateau

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.