Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Can't we all just hunt?? >

Can't we all just hunt??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Can't we all just hunt??

Old 06-04-2008, 05:35 PM

Default Can't we all just hunt??

Im just as guilty as the next guy, but damn we all seem to make things so competitive and/or complicated. We over analize, over think, think too much of ourselves, think too less of ourselves, worry about this buck being old enough, this one is too old, this one has a broken G2, my herd is out of whack, pinch points, breaklines, bedding this and that, staging up, laying low, etc etc etc.....Sometimes I guess we could all just take a day in the woods and shoot what the hell ever comes by!!! And then eat it and say thank you Jesus for this. I read an article a while back that made me think about where hunting has gone in the past 20 yrs and how I and many others have altered what makes us happy. I got to thinking, man, we all have bit on this at one point or another. This article said there is nothing wrong with just shooting deer, any deer. Forget the size, the weight, the age, sex, etc, just shoot a freaking deer and be happy. I don't always follow this motto, but it was refreshing to read this view. So, do you agree with this author about sometimes we just need to shoot a deer and be happy about it???
Old 06-04-2008, 06:40 PM

Default RE: Can't we all just hunt??

I definetly agree. Things are becoming too complicated. I hunt just to be outdoors and to enjoy nature and kill for meat like humans have always done. My dads a strict qdm guy and sometimes we do argue about what deer to shoot. He sort of had me brainwashed towait for a nice buck for my first deer with a bow, and I missed some good opportunities at young bucks which id happily shoot now.It is sad and i think this is how alot of hunters are becoming. We are all hunters no matter what we shoot. We gotta stick together and just be happy. I hunted with a recurve usually last fall, and it will probably be the only bow with me in the woods this year, because I thought about it, and i hunt to get away from everything, and its fine if i don't always fill my tag. I think people can hunt how they want and shoot what they want, but, thats all their choice.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:45 PM
Dominant Buck

They're only complicated if you make it so. I hunt for me and my enjoyment. I don't measure horns and don't try to keep up with all the Jones with stealth cams and all the latest money pits. I'm the only one I worry about pleasing. I hunt what's legal and shoot what I feel like shooting on any particular hunt. I may pass a deer today and shoot him or her tomorrow. When I let the arrow go it's not for anyone or anything but me.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:48 PM
Typical Buck

i think that you should be able go out in the feild hunt how you want toand kill any deer you want to monster or spike
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil

They're only complicated if you make it so. I hunt for me and my enjoyment. I don't measure horns and don't try to keep up with all the Jones with stealth cams and all the latest money pits. I'm the only one I worry about pleasing. I hunt what's legal and shoot what I feel like shooting on any particular hunt. I may pass a deer today and shoot him or her tomorrow. When I let the arrow go it's not for anyone or anything but me.
Yup!
Nontypical Buck

Tell me about it some of these topics are so over kill it is unreal. I like to get in my stand an just sit back an think this is the place I need to be this morning because my homework is done. If not go to one of your other spots that has sign.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes I guess we could all just take a day in the woods and shoot what the hell ever comes by!!!
Last time I check'd it was ok to do so.

I agree with this:

At the same time, I have goals....FOR ME. I like strategy and playing the angles to acheive these goals.

well put 24/7. I said from the start of my post that Im as guilty asthe next guy on this. I don't go nuts over QDM by any means, but I do get selective, only b/c I hunt where lots of good bucks live, if I hunted public land or in an area where the genetics just were not there, I may shoot a smaller buck more often. I do however shoot does and a good number of them. I will kill a doe in the middle of the rut if I ain't seeing bucks in a stand i know Im running low on meat. I just thought about all the posts on here about mature bucks, and how to hunt them, who specifically hunts for trophies who doesn't etc...nothing personal here guys, don'tget it twisted,and I asked myself, do we really care about this or is this just another way to bebetter than someone else? Or to out do my hunting buddy? Or does this put me in a higher respect as a deer hunter?
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Fork Horn

yes i semido agree.i havent hunted that long, been hunting since i was 12 so this season coming up will be my 11th year. for me im not that the point of only trophy buck let me start with that im still pretty new. ive gotten at least a doe for the past 6 years as i have gotten some permission on a good bit of private land and my first and only buck so far has been a 5 point. as for me i will shot a six point if it comes bywere i hunt it has to have atleast two points on one side.i know what potential i have on a given property like i hunt on ground up state and i know there are 130-140 class bucks there. i have trail cam pics so as for there i do not agree with the author i would not shot a scrub buck i could be happy with letting him go cause i know what that could mean in the future. it would have been my pleasure just to watch the scrub buck in his total normal ways learn more about whitetailsas if there was no human around. there is a reason why we QDM. we have learned through QDM that we can havea better and healthier herd. coming from pa i would say if pa did what that author says pa would be back to where it started about 8 plus years ago. just my opinion good topic tho i cant wait to read what everyelse has to say

Quick Reply: Can't we all just hunt??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.