Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rocky Mtn Gator XPs 2 blade >

Rocky Mtn Gator XPs 2 blade

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rocky Mtn Gator XPs 2 blade

Old 06-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Rocky Mtn Gator XPs 2 blade

Any opinions on these heads? I thought about going from fixed blade heads to trying 2 blade Rage heads. I went to Bass Pro Friday afternoon to buy a pack of 2 blade Rages and just could not do it. Something in my brain just couldn't spend $40 for 3 heads. The Gators were $10 cheaper per 3. I might be able to do that. They look pretty comparable to the Rage heads. 2" cut, rear deploying, open on impact. Also the no o-ring thing appeals to me. What say you?
Old 06-02-2008, 11:21 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Rocky Mtn Gator XPs 2 blade

Post up a pic I would like to see these, are they new? I have seen the rocky mountain snypers...
Old 06-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

They are flat out WICKED heads and IMO the most underrated mechanical head on the market.
They open just as easy, the blades will free float around heavy bone promoting penetration and they're very sharp.

I've only taken one deer with one and finished my antelope off at 37 yards with another but the performance is eerily similar to a Rage 2 blade.........They flew like darts too.

You should have seen the carnage on the antelope doe my buddy Frank shot in WY. It was a fairly long 40ish yard shot in the wind and the animal took a jump forward before the arrow got there and he hit her square through both hams. The arrow passed through like butter leaving a huge entrance and exit right through both femoral arteries. I've never seen such blood before in 23yrs of bowhunting.

(Granted any broadhead in an artery will be nasty but this 2" diameter reached out and got BOTH arteries and still passed through like it was a lung shot, I think in part because the blades fold back quickly when they hit a big bone like the femur allowing the head to continue forward unimpeded)
Old 06-02-2008, 11:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: killadoe

Post up a pic I would like to see these, are they new? I have seen the rocky mountain snypers...
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_17516_400014007_400000000_400014000_400-14-7

Here they are. I think I'll buy some this week.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:12 PM
Typical Buck

Rocky Mountain Snypers arent made anymore for some reason(Rage) so I think this is their new 2 blade broadhead.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Kamil

Rocky Mountain Snypers arent made anymore for some reason(Rage) so I think this is their new 2 blade broadhead.
Actually they had Snypers in stock too.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:32 PM

I knew about the snypers, but I haven't seen the gator...how does it work with out o rings? is it as reliable
Old 06-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Typical Buck

I've heard they stopped production on them and that rage bought them out on the design...maybe the guy just had extras, but I could always be wrong
Old 06-02-2008, 02:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have no knowledge of snypers being discontinued, 2 or 3 blade (they are in the new cabela's archery catalog right alongside the Rage)

I'm not 100% sure of the relationship between Barrie Archery (Rocky Mt.) Bruce Barrie, and Rage but they have shared an address since day one. At the very least Snypers and Rage heads are first cousins.

The Gator broadhead I'm pretty sure is older in design than the Snyper. I owned a pack of regular chisel tip Gators quite a few years ago. The Gator XP with its COC tip are the newer version of this design.
This is not a "new" broadhead.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:49 PM

I took a doe with gator XP last season and it did the trick. It is a nasty head and very comparable to the rage 2 blade. I always find them after the season for $20 a pack so I stock up everytime they are on sale. I'd recommend them to anyone.

Quick Reply: Rocky Mtn Gator XPs 2 blade

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.