Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

RUT TIP

Old 06-01-2008, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RUT TIP

I have seen many bucks chase does over the years. I have noticed 2 things that happen often enough to use to kill a big buck.
1. Does often run back and forth while being persued by a buck. I believe they want to keep distance from the buck and feel safe returning from somewhere they have just been.
2. Other bucks pick up the scent and follow some time later.

Tip: If you see a buck chase a doe thru, get over to where they crossed and quickly set up behind some cover and stay put.

I have helplessly sat in my stand and watched this happen and always kicked myself for not doing it. Since I decided to do this the oppertunity has not presented itself. But it will and I intend to be there!
Old 06-01-2008, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: RUT TIP

I have done what you are saying before, followed a small buck that was working a doe and got on another stand off the trail they followed. less than 30 minutes later had a decent 10 point come in with his nose to the ground and capitalized on it. Great tip Magicman!!
Old 06-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well said Magic! I love it when I have a doe come by my stand thats by herself without any fawns while I'm hunting during the rut. Usually if a buck shows up later he will be on her old trail like fly's on ****! What you said though is a great Idea. I may try this next time I see a doe go through out of range thats being chased by another buck and set up on the ground some where. Good post Todd!!!
Old 06-01-2008, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is one of the biggest reasons I plan on doing more hunting from the ground this year - especialy during the rut when all the stops get pulled out. When I think back over the years of chances I would have had if I had the nerve to be a bit more aggressive like that - I would have had a few chances at some real whoppers.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are hunting an area that is hot with activity, such as you go in that area an run some deer out. Take a quick look an if there are scrapes an rubsin that area. Get in a tree assoon as you can a wait for everything to calm back down.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: JoeRE

That is one of the biggest reasons I plan on doing more hunting from the ground this year...
Yes Magic, that is a good tip, and I agree becauseI've seen this happen before. In my case though, I don't think it would be worthdisturbing the woods moving my tree stand. Like JoeRE said, it would have to be a ground assault to be worth moving for, andI'm not giving up my treestand!JMHO
Old 06-01-2008, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

Like early in, I am always afraid of spooking a buck while I'm still getting set back up. It would bean average of 10-15 minutes to relocate. Now many times I will hunt it the next day and relocate a little if they were out of range the day before. Sometimes it works, sometimes they go right under the tree I was in the first day.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: early in

That is one of the biggest reasons I plan on doing more hunting from the ground this year...
Yes Magic, that is a good tip, and I agree becauseI've seen this happen before. In my case though, I don't think it would be worthdisturbing the woods moving my tree stand. Like JoeRE said, it would have to be a ground assault to be worth moving for, andI'm not giving up my treestand!JMHO
AS you wish. I used to think that way too. A buck after a doe is so preoccupied that you could almost stand in the open and not be noticed. I stuck one from the ground this way, didn't get him, I hit him in the shoulder blade. I shot another from the ground with a gun. He was one of 4 bucks chasing a doe. I had to jump off to the side as I shot to avoid getting run over. IN BLAZE ORANGE. I don't think I would try to relocate my stand unless I could do it real fast. I am not that fast.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the tip!!
Old 06-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

ORIGINAL: early in

Yes Magic, that is a good tip, and I agree because I've seen this happen before. In my case though, I don't think it would be worth disturbing the woods moving my tree stand. Like JoeRE said, it would have to be a ground assault to be worth moving for, and I'm not giving up my treestand! JMHO
AS you wish. I used to think that way too. A buck after a doe is so preoccupied that you could almost stand in the open and not be noticed. I stuck one from the ground this way, didn't get him, I hit him in the shoulder blade. I shot another from the ground with a gun. He was one of 4 bucks chasing a doe. I had to jump off to the side as I shot to avoid getting run over. IN BLAZE ORANGE. I don't think I would try to relocate my stand unless I could do it real fast. I am not that fast.
I agree with you Magic. I don't think you would have to worry about a stand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.