HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Killing/seeing deer in the middle of the day... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/247877-killing-seeing-deer-middle-day.html)

early in 06-01-2008 07:51 AM

RE: Killing/seeing deer in the middle of the day...

ORIGINAL: backnaction34

I have seen alot of deer activity durring the mid day hours. Be it from other hunters pushing the deer or what. I "heard" a theory once that deer feed on 12 hour cycle. Maybe they dont come out in fields or food plots every 12 hours but they do have to eat. I havent seen anything to prove this theroy wrong. So if they are feeding at midnight .....then that would put them feeding again durring mid day.
The oldest buck I ve killed was @ 11:30 am. (6 1/2 year old 7 piont)
I heard something similar, except I read it's a 4 hour cycle. Which I think is accurate.I have watched deer that were bedded, get up at high noon and browseright in their immediate area for about 20 mins, then bed right back down in the same area. It was neat.

Siman08/OH 06-01-2008 09:15 AM

ORIGINAL: Canuck_2

Couldnt

help myself gri22ly

Couldn't help myself, Siman.:D
Well at least i wasn't the one claiming to use spell check :)

GMMAT 06-01-2008 09:29 AM

If you really do some investigating, you'll find that most people have harvested thier best bucks between 10am and 2pm.
Huh?

Sounds like a good magazine article theory.....but I doubt it's true in real-life.

I've hunted all day a few times, during the rut. I just dont see the activity I see in other times of the day. Call me lazy, uncommitted, etc........I just don't have the patience to sit through what "I" feel is an unproductive time of day "for my woods". I've seen good bucks (relative) here after 11:00.....but that's usually when I'm thinking of climbing down. You also have to remember that a buck don't have to travel far or look real hard to find a doe in my woods.

In reality.....I'm sure there are some great bucks killed during the middle of the day. I also think it's "a" way for some hunters to perch themselves on the "I am extremely dedicated and you just don't want it, enough" perch. I actually don't know anyone who's killed one in the middle of the day, here.

il coyote 06-01-2008 09:36 AM

You also have to remember that a buck don't have to travel far or look real hard to find a doe in my woods.
That right there is a big factor, nationwide. IMO

From my experience, the 10-2 hrs. aren't very productive at all for seeing A LOT of deer. But it's the one time every other year or so that it pays off and makes it all worthwhile.

Siman08/OH 06-01-2008 09:44 AM

I'm with you Jeff when it comes to not being able to sit through "un-productive" hours

gri22ly 06-01-2008 09:49 AM

ORIGINAL: Siman08/OH

ORIGINAL: Canuck_2

Couldnt

help myself gri22ly

Couldn't help myself, Siman.:D
Well at least i wasn't the one claiming to use spell check :)
Thats why I said it's a little better:D:DI checked it and spell check said it was right:D:D......oh well. You can spell Simam, good for you, I'm still teaching my self.

dukemichaels 06-01-2008 10:03 AM

2:15 pm... Caught this guy cruising in the heart of the rut here in Illinois.

I've had tremendous encounters over the past years while hunting in mid-afternoon. It is my favorite time to hunt in November.

And I don't believe its a crazy theory. It is purely dependant on several factors.. but it is a natural buck movement during the breeding season. But like anything else... it depends on the land you are hunting.

Incidently, the buck pictured is dominant.. dressed out at just over 230 pounds.. and was a 5 1/2 yr. old deer.

Siman08/OH 06-01-2008 10:04 AM

HahaI actually just started using it myself gri22

Schultzy 06-01-2008 10:04 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

If you really do some investigating, you'll find that most people have harvested thier best bucks between 10am and 2pm.
Huh?

Sounds like a good magazine article theory.....but I doubt it's true in real-life.

I've hunted all day a few times, during the rut. I just dont see the activity I see in other times of the day. Call me lazy, uncommitted, etc........I just don't have the patience to sit through what "I" feel is an unproductive time of day "for my woods". I've seen good bucks (relative) here after 11:00.....but that's usually when I'm thinking of climbing down. You also have to remember that a buck don't have to travel far or look real hard to find a doe in my woods.

In reality.....I'm sure there are some great bucks killed during the middle of the day. I also think it's "a" way for some hunters to perch themselves on the "I am extremely dedicated and you just don't want it, enough" perch. I actually don't know anyone who's killed one in the middle of the day, here.
Thats pretty harsh GMMAT.

early in 06-01-2008 10:12 AM

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Huh?

Thats pretty harsh GMMAT.
I'd say more typical than harsh.:D