Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Best State for success >

Best State for success

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best State for success

Old 05-30-2008, 05:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Best State for success

ORIGINAL: early in

Dan, the guy I used to work for hunted New Mexico, but he didn't draw his tag. He said for $1000 extra he got a tag from the outfitter? Doesthat make sense?
I think they are available through land owners. I am not sure but I believe it's like a slip that allows you to buy a permit without drawing.They can cost several $$ but I got one at no extra cost. I didNot hunt the prime areas (the Gila) but it was still a couple of great hunts.There are some bargain hunts out there, but check and double check references.

Dan
Old 05-30-2008, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never elk hunted but every thing I have read is in agreement with what Mechdoc has said.I have a couple of friends that apply in Arizona every year and have gone many years without drawing.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd say NM.. I have been putting in for AZ3 years when I lived there and4 since I've lived in IL.. Have not been drawn yet, will continue to try but for a good chance at a good bull with your bow I'd say NM.. Big numbers in CO but lots of pressure from what I hear..
Old 05-30-2008, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not an Elk hunter, but from everything I've read and heard, I'd have to go with New Mexico.
X2
Old 05-30-2008, 08:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: demoIL

I'd say NM.. I have been putting in for AZ3 years when I lived there and4 since I've lived in IL.. Have not been drawn yet, will continue to try but for a good chance at a good bull with your bow I'd say NM.. Big numbers in CO but lots of pressure from what I hear..
I 100% agree! New Mexico has some giants, very wide looking giants compared to Colorado. Colorado has numbers but the hunting pressure is what makes it tough. I'd still say Colorado over New Mexico though. Montana isn't a bad pick either.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:41 PM
Typical Buck

Dan, the guy I used to work for hunted New Mexico, but he didn't draw his tag. He said for $1000 extra he got a tag from the outfitter? Doesthat make sense?
I have an opportunity to get one of these tags for next year in a prime quality area... I think it will be worth the extra couple hundred bucks for a chance at a good bull
Old 05-30-2008, 09:43 PM
Typical Buck

The only reason I'm straying away from the northern states is beacuse I have been hearing that wolves and grizzlies are doing a number on the population.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Kamil

The only reason I'm straying away from the northern states is beacuse I have been hearing that wolves and grizzlies are doing a number on the population.
If you go to New Mexico and have done your home work you won't be sorry!!

I know guys that have Elk hunted 4 times as much as I have and haven't had half the success.

Dan
Old 05-30-2008, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last year, me and two buddies drew tags in Wyoming. Everyone killed an elk, we called in (I think) 22 different bulls. It was at least 20. Colorado has more people and tagsthan any state, but I'm a big fan of Wyoming and Montana... I wouldn't hesitate to go to New Mexico either.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Dubbya

Last year, me and two buddies drew tags in Wyoming. Everyone killed an elk, we called in (I think) 22 different bulls. It was at least 20. Colorado has more people and tagsthan any state, but I'm a big fan of Wyoming and Montana... I wouldn't hesitate to go to New Mexico either.
I Agree CO would be my last choice.

I have watched groups go to CO Elk hunting from here local for the last 10-12 years and I have not seen anything that impressed me.

Last year 5 guys went and they killed a little raghorn.

Maybe these guys don't know what the heck they are doing?[&:]but you think they'd be learning something if that was the problem

Dan

Quick Reply: Best State for success

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.