Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New arrows??

Old 05-30-2008, 02:43 PM

Default New arrows??

Im looking to get some new carbon arrows for this coming season and was wondering what arrow I should get and what the spine should be?

I would like to stay under $100 per dozen.

I have a 28" draw length and 60# weight.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New arrows??

I like my Gold Tip XT Hunters.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I sell and recommend both the CX Maxima, CX Maxima Hunter, Axis, & FMJ's. Some of those may be slightly over your budget (not all), but my advice is Not to skimp when it comes to your Arrows.

Dan
Old 05-31-2008, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll second the recommendation of GoldTip XT Hunters. Tough as nails!
Old 05-31-2008, 12:30 PM

X2. The Axis, Axis FMJ, and Maximas are the best hunting arrows out there. Don't skimp on arrows or tires.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:27 PM

Ya I looked at the axis and they look pretty good the gold tips look good too.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 06-01-2008, 06:19 AM
Typical Buck

Any carbon arrow that has a tolerance of +/- .003 straightness, and closeweight tolerance from one shaft to another,will do anything you ask from it. A $130.00 a dozen arrow will not do anything a $85.00 a dozen arrow can not do, except empty your wallet.
Another vote for Goldtip XT Hunters.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MichiganBowbender

Any carbon arrow that has a tolerance of +/- .003 straightness, and closeweight tolerance from one shaft to another,will do anything you ask from it. A $130.00 a dozen arrow will not do anything a $85.00 a dozen arrow can not do, except empty your wallet.
Another vote for Goldtip XT Hunters.
That's your opinion

Dan
Old 06-01-2008, 09:10 AM
Typical Buck

Yes it is. I've never killed a deer yet that knew the differnce between the two, and I've shot both.For the "average shooter/hunter", which most of us are, a 1/4 inch difference in a group at 40 yardswould not much matter. Professional tournament archers/top of the line 3d shooters,no doubt could tell the difference, but the majority of us are not in their league. It's all about the advertising and hype that some buy into, thinking that more money spent, the better. Not always so. Concentrate more on form, follow thru, distance estimation, etc. That will improve your shooting more thanmore money spent, providing you have good equiptment to start with.No argument intended, just my opinion.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MichiganBowbender

Yes it is. I've never killed a deer yet that knew the differnce between the two, and I've shot both.For the "average shooter/hunter", which most of us are, a 1/4 inch difference in a group at 40 yardswould not much matter. Professional tournament archers/top of the line 3d shooters,no doubt could tell the difference, but the majority of us are not in their league. It's all about the advertising and hype that some buy into, thinking that more money spent, the better. Not always so. Concentrate more on form, follow thru, distance estimation, etc. That will improve your shooting more thanmore money spent, providing you have good equiptment to start with.No argument intended, just my opinion.
In all truthfulness, having been shooting for well over 3 decades, starting with Easton 24SRTX, XX75, X7 way back then, Lamiglass carbons in 1979, and Lord knows what all shafts up till now, I do agree with this summation. At one time I was a pretty good shoter around these parts, and I could tell the difference in top grade and middle of the road arrows, but it was very slight; thus the reason my ACC's are in the arrow box.

When a person gets to the point of expertise that they can tell the difference between .003" and .001" they are usually in a position that they don't buy very much any more. The average hunter isn't going to tell the difference between .001" and .006". That isn't to say that they don't have the ability. Most probably have more than they know, but shooting a bow isn't their do-all/end-all recreational pasttime. They may have many varied interests and just don't dedicate all their time to archery. For them middle of the road is good enough.

And on a more practical note to fit the times, the $50-$60 difference beween the two might be what it takes to fill the gas tank and be able to go to work and make a week's wages. Now which do you think is a better return for the money?

Quick Reply: New arrows??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.