Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 what are you looking for? >

what are you looking for?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what are you looking for?

Old 05-30-2008, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Looks Good To Me............

Gri22ly, thanks for the input, I was glad to see a couple of those spots you showed b/c I already have stands there and I just put up a new one where I circled it. Can anyone point out what is a funnel, a ridge, and so on and so on, for example where I circled in black, what is that considered???

Old 05-30-2008, 08:28 PM
Typical Buck

Looks like a travel corridor to me.But I don't use topo maps at all.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

The spot you circled in black is a crows foot, thats were several ridges (high points) and several hollows (low points) come together. There not actually funnels, deer just prefer to use the easiest rout from point(A) to point (B) and sometimes these routs all come together. Deer like to travel highs, lows and flats.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: recurver167

Looks like a travel corridor to me.But I don't use topo maps at all.

I hear ya.....I don't use them either, just trying to learn in the event they can help me one day.....That blue line he drew through there (where I circled inblack) is a dry creek bed or as we would say here a draw...I found a live spring pooling up on it where ithas a little opening and placed a stand....
Old 05-30-2008, 08:53 PM
Typical Buck

We just have farm country here.I wish I had a large chunk to hunt.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Come November you can take the Topo's and roll them up and pitch them, the bucks aren't worried about "funnels", "easiest access to point -A to point-B", they aren't concerned about "ridge tops", "hollows", "high or low flats", they have ONE thing on their mind and that's DOE BOOTIE............
Old 05-31-2008, 09:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: RidgeFACTOR

Come November you can take the Topo's and roll them up and pitch them, the bucks aren't worried about "funnels", "easiest access to point -A to point-B", they aren't concerned about "ridge tops", "hollows", "high or low flats", they have ONE thing on their mind and that's DOE BOOTIE............
very true, but guess who normally is worried about funnels? THE DOES
Old 05-31-2008, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hear you bro......I just want to understand the topo better and see what other folks use them for and how.....
I never have used one before but have heard lots of folks talk about using them. Hell all the places I have hunted in the past I knew like the back of my hand......I am just curious about the maps and how to read them....
Old 05-31-2008, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

ORIGINAL: RidgeFACTOR

very true, but guess who normally is worried about funnels? THE DOES
Mkaes sense, I'll give you that one......but it's a whole new "ballgame" come the rut.
http://www.sportsmans-link.com/tr_hunting_the_whitetail_rut.htm
Old 05-31-2008, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

T.R. Michels... are you kidding me. That guy would cut off his nose to spite his face. Please find a better source of info than him.

He's like the Carlos Mencia of the deer hunting authors world. He steals everyone else's work and trys to make something of it.. and usually he fails miserablly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.