Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 woulda shoulda coulda been a dandy ! >

woulda shoulda coulda been a dandy !

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

woulda shoulda coulda been a dandy !

Old 05-29-2008, 07:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: woulda shoulda coulda been a dandy !

WOW!!!
Old 05-29-2008, 07:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Man, that sure is a nice one. You would have had a good time chasing him come fall. That's too bad. As the others have asked, do you have any idea what killed these deer?
Old 05-29-2008, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

What a great buck and terrible loss.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

WOW!!!
Dido!
Old 05-29-2008, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wonder why it seems that if someone finds a buck dead it is usually a really good one? Look at some of the DVD's that show shed footage like WKP or Drury etc and you see BIG dead bucksthat should be the top of the pecking order and in their prime.
Do you think they just get so worn down from breeding that they are left less prepared for a rough winter?

Old 05-29-2008, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

I wonder why it seems that if someone finds a buck dead it is usually a really good one? Look at some of the DVD's that show shed footage like WKP or Drury etc and you see BIG dead bucksthat should be the top of the pecking order and in their prime.
Do you think they just get so worn down from breeding that they are left less prepared for a rough winter?

I think it may have a little to do with that, but also you got to remember these guys are probably finding smaller dead bucks as well, just not showing them on the show.

Fortunately i have never found a dead buck of that size. I have found several in the 100-125" range though...

Troy, that is a great deer! Its a shame that you had to find him that way, but hey...there was nothing you could do about it so atleast you came across it! It will make a nice euro mount!
Old 05-29-2008, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

That has got to be tuff finding a dead one like that.... Imagine him at 5.5... a real stud.

Man that is a great buck... First glance I put him mid 150's maybe a touch better?

Sorry bro [&o]
Old 05-29-2008, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

As Dan said it could possibly be a wolf kill or mountain lion kill in Troy's area.I was assuming Winter kill because I know Northern Idaho got hammered this winter with snow storms and accumulation.It is curious to when they actually drop their antlers.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah Dan, there were bones strung out down the creek bottom there, its a run off stream so its dried up now but a month ago was probably running pretty hvy.. He is still really strong smelling but cleaned up pretty good by the predators, there were some maggots on him as well.. I didnt find anything that looked like a bullet hole in the carcass but his lft main beam has either a bullet through it or it was chewed on by a porcupine or something..its odd shaped a lot like what a bullet would look like.. so far a spike/2x bull, spike buck, this buck and a main framed 5 bout a 135-140 buck, all of them shredded and strung all over..
Old 05-29-2008, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: huntingson

Do you have any idea why you are finding so many? Is that even a lot of dead ones for up there?

That is a shame. Where we hunt elk in CO I almost always find a bull or two dead from the year before, but I figure that is mostly bad shots that resulted in a dead animal and no recovery.
i've lived out here at this place going on 4 years now, shed hunted it pretty hard every year.. Ive found one maybe twodead critters avethe three previous springs and thats putting in a lot more time than I have this spring.. due to snow... 4 dead ones already this spring so far..

we have record snows this year.. I think it hit a lot of critters pretty hard..

any of these could be poor shots of course.. but generally here when we get hvy snows we see a high mortality rate in our game, plus we have a lot of wolves now, so many Idaho just opened up our first wolf season this fall.

Quick Reply: woulda shoulda coulda been a dandy !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.