HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Walking with an arrow? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/247486-walking-arrow.html)

Schultzy 05-28-2008 12:12 PM

RE: Walking with an arrow?

ORIGINAL: Steven McBee

i keep my knife in my hand, last year my parents were attacked and almost killed by a bull mastiff walking down our back roads, my dad was able to put the dog in a choke hold and kill it otherwise things would have turned uglier than they ended up being
Holy ****!! Man eating dogs is the last thing a person should have to worry about when hunting on your own land!! I've had issues with that also in my woods going in to hunt, they didn't make it either.;)

Back to the question no I don't knock an arrow when walking out or in when its dark. Your asking for it if you trip or something. Allot of people do it though and if it makes you feel better, have at it then but be careful!

stabnslab_WI 05-28-2008 04:38 PM

LOL...........you guys are all to funny. I have walked in the woods with an arrow drawn many times but not all the time. Am I a scared person? No, otherwise I wouldn't have chosen my profession. My question was only to find out what everyone carrys in the woods while walking in the dark, not to get harassed, but I guess I asked for it. I forgive everyone that doesn't know me but what else could I exspect from huntingnet. This is a big clique that Im not apart of.

rybohunter 05-28-2008 06:12 PM

No arrows in the dark.

I walk in with a light, and about the meanest thing I've encountered is a flying squirrel.

We can now legally carry concealed in PA during our bow season, and usually I am armed, but not really worried about any critters getting me.

jim1966 05-28-2008 07:13 PM

Illegal to do that in Indiana.

early in 05-28-2008 07:27 PM

ORIGINAL: stabnslab_WI

LOL...........you guys are all to funny. I have walked in the woods with an arrow drawn many times but not all the time. Am I a scared person? No, otherwise I wouldn't have chosen my profession. My question was only to find out what everyone carrys in the woods while walking in the dark, not to get harassed, but I guess I asked for it. I forgive everyone that doesn't know me but what else could I exspect from huntingnet. This is a big clique that Im not apart of.
Actually, your initial question was who walks in the dark woods with an arrow in hand, not what we carry with us while walking in the woods in the dark. There is a difference. However, you must admit you've gotten many posts considering how silly this question was. Wouldn't you agree?:D
Some folks may think this forum can be clique like, I did for a time,but it should be overlooked, as there is a wealth of knowledge to be had! You are one of us, or you wouldn't have stuck around for theteasing.It's all good.;):D:D

GregH 05-28-2008 07:56 PM

I tried to start a clique once! It magically disappeared. [:-]

bawanajim 05-28-2008 08:02 PM

ORIGINAL: GregH

I tried to start a clique once! It magically disappeared. [:-]
Must of been a Bad Location?

treboryerf 05-28-2008 08:04 PM

Don't walk in with arrow in hand,scared bigfoot may sneak up on me take the arrow from me and stick me in the **s.

AR Bowhunter 05-28-2008 08:07 PM

ORIGINAL: kingvjack

I use one to nock down spider webs in the early season.... I hate those big ass green and orange spiders.
I looked those spiders up once an they are called garden spiders if I recall right.

stabnslab_WI 05-28-2008 08:13 PM

ORIGINAL: early in

Actually, your initial question was who walks in the dark woods with an arrow in hand, not what we carry with us while walking in the woods in the dark. There is a difference. However, you must admit you've gotten many posts considering how silly this question was. Wouldn't you agree?:D
Some folks may think this forum can be clique like, I did for a time,but it should be overlooked, as there is a wealth of knowledge to be had! You are one of us, or you wouldn't have stuck around for theteasing.It's all good.;):D:D
Yes I agree 100% it was a silly question. I can honestly say reading all the post and threads makes my day at work go by quick. I joined this forum to optain the knowledge within the posts in hopes to become a better hunter and make right choices when the choices arrive. Thanks everyone for the input. Flashlight and grenades is better to fall on then flashlight and arrow. My arrow was equiped with a rage anyways I wouldn't of gotten any penetration.

Rory/MO 05-28-2008 08:29 PM

Yes I agree 100% it was a silly question. I can honestly say reading all the post and threads makes my day at work go by quick. I joined this forum to optain the knowledge within the posts in hopes to become a better hunter and make right choices when the choices arrive. Thanks everyone for the input. Flashlight and grenades is better to fall on then flashlight and arrow. My arrow was equiped with a rage anyways I wouldn't of gotten any penetration.

magicman54494 05-28-2008 08:33 PM

Actually it's refered to as the inner circle. Bawana Jim is the gate keeper. You have to buy him a few cold ones then your in for life. The people in the inner circle is a closely gaurded secret.

stabnslab_WI 05-28-2008 08:40 PM

Everyone is in luck!! I bartend on the side and have access to a cooler with a couple hundred cases of beer.

Schultzy 05-28-2008 08:48 PM

All I said in my original post was its a tad dangerous walking with an arrow.

magicman54494 05-28-2008 08:48 PM

Everyone is in luck!! I bartend on the side and have access to a cooler with a couple hundred cases of beer.
Break em out! I'm thirsty.
If I bartended I'd probably keep an arrow handy. Those drinkers can get pretty wild!

kingvjack 05-28-2008 08:50 PM

ORIGINAL: AR Bowhunter

ORIGINAL: kingvjack

I use one to nock down spider webs in the early season.... I hate those big ass green and orange spiders.
I looked those spiders up once an they are called garden spiders if I recall right.
probably, they don't even bite.... I think I'm the badest bass turd in the woods while I'm in them.... but spiders creap me out....

bawanajim 05-28-2008 08:51 PM

Penguins Win !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Labatts for all my friends............

Lubricious 05-28-2008 09:06 PM

ORIGINAL: RIStrutStopper

but I just kinda get used to taking them in the face now and again.

stabnslab_WI 05-28-2008 09:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

All I said in my original post was its a tad dangerous walking with an arrow.
I apologize if that came off wrong. That is just my DRY HUMOR. Believe me I take all advice into consideration

killzonearchery 05-28-2008 10:43 PM

I keep mine in the quiver becuase its safer to me.But i do carry a big knife so

SteveBNy 05-29-2008 05:37 AM

Just carry a can of "boogie man" spray.

early in 05-29-2008 05:50 AM

I joined this forum to optain the knowledge within the posts in hopes to become a better hunter and make right choices when the choices arrive.

I can GUARANTEE this will happen if you stay here. Sometimes we slam one another, but it's usually not in a malicious way. It's done more in an informative way, I like to think.:D

nick_bleuer76 05-29-2008 10:09 AM

Well, I live in Iowa, there are some cougars in our part of the state, but I am really not that scared, but I have been attacked by a woodchuck, my deer slug took care of him. Probably the most dangerous thing I could find in the timber is a drug dealer, making meth, they would not think twice about slicing me open and throughing me into the river.

Rob/PA Bowyer 05-29-2008 11:14 AM

There is nothing in the PA woods that I fear while walking to and from my stands. Just this spring I had a bear popping it's teeth at me while walking into my spring turkey woods. I just stop and listen and let it move off.

Huntm Up 05-29-2008 01:41 PM

seriously?!? I remember being scared in the woods when I was 12 but that wasa coupledecades ago... There is nothing I mean nothing in the woods that will hurt... or should I say that could hurt you and you stop it with a bow at point blank range. If a bear or wolf (unlikely) would attack while walking out in the dark I doubt an arrow is going to help much. As the famous words in Wedding Crahsers "Grow up Peter Pan... "

bloodcrick 05-29-2008 03:06 PM

I have only been gunny twice while walking in or out in the dark. Once my dog trailed me from three miles away and scared the chit out of me on the way out. The other was my bow pull up string had came off my climber and was trailing me. I thought it was a jurassic park escaped raptor folowing me [X(]now i just walk in with attitude :eek:no arrow in hand :D

2006HighSierra 05-29-2008 05:22 PM

I *with intense caution* usually always have an arrow ready to draw back just incase I happen upon a shot opportunity on my way to or from the stand. But as far as carrying an arrow for protection I think it's about useless to me. I will rely on my XD-45 with +p loads. I have ran up on a bear a couple times but I try to use the old method of bring a fat slow friend with me.

bigzombee69 05-29-2008 06:11 PM

I hunt near the city and the only thing I carry with me is either a red or blue bandana and a 40oz ofColt 45dependin on whats by the truck, wolves and bears aint got chit on them animals.

kingvjack 05-29-2008 06:21 PM

ORIGINAL: bigzombee69

I hunt near the city and the only thing I carry with me is either a red or blue bandana and a 40oz ofColt 45dependin on whats by the truck, wolves and bears aint got chit on them animals.
Thats pretty funny right there...

twildasin 05-29-2008 06:52 PM

I have my pistol on my hip... no worries!;) Except when I'm with Rob he makes me feel safe! There is nothing out there that scares him! Me neither except a deranged outraged person and there are alot of them out there!

twofinger 05-31-2008 02:42 AM

concealed wp .45

TOBY V 05-31-2008 03:52 AM

Never, I just walk to my stand. I have never had a close encounter with anything. Then again I dont live in an area where we have bears and other large dangerous animals, I think......

BowKnutt 05-31-2008 06:13 AM

The only thing that bothers me in the dark, Is in early season the Rattlesnakes are still crawling. Thats usually the only thing on my mind listening for the Rattles!!!

nodog 05-31-2008 06:25 AM

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

Alright mighty hunters, how many of you walk to your stands in the dark with an arrow in hand. I don't know about you guys and gals but I do. I have had everything from yotes, possums, raccoons even people walking up to me in the dark. See I watch to many scary movies and it just so happens the area I live in, well I'll just say there is a lot of weirdo's around. Even in the stand, if its getting dark out and there is deer in the field, I'm getting my A$$ down out of that stand and getting to my truck.
Ya, these animals are real scary:eek:
In some situations they would be more than that. Ever trap a coon? If you have the next time you do stick a pencil init's a$$. Before you can blink an eye it will turn completely around and snap the thing in half, while in the cage. Simply put, you aint fast enough.

Yotes are wild dogs, nuff sad there.

Opossums, I'll give ya that one, still I wouldn't want to be bit by one.

nodog 05-31-2008 06:33 AM

One thing good about posts like these,

it gives the "real" men a chance to pound their chest.

magicman54494 05-31-2008 08:28 AM

ORIGINAL: nodog

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

Alright mighty hunters, how many of you walk to your stands in the dark with an arrow in hand. I don't know about you guys and gals but I do. I have had everything from yotes, possums, raccoons even people walking up to me in the dark. See I watch to many scary movies and it just so happens the area I live in, well I'll just say there is a lot of weirdo's around. Even in the stand, if its getting dark out and there is deer in the field, I'm getting my A$$ down out of that stand and getting to my truck.
Ya, these animals are real scary:eek:
In some situations they would be more than that. Ever trap a coon? If you have the next time you do stick a pencil init's a$$. Before you can blink an eye it will turn completely around and snap the thing in half, while in the cage. Simply put, you aint fast enough.

Yotes are wild dogs, nuff sad there.

Opossums, I'll give ya that one, still I wouldn't want to be bit by one.
I guess there's "real" men then there's those who insert objects in trapped animals' anal cavities. It's not a wonder your name is nodog.

dukemichaels 05-31-2008 08:37 AM

Ya know.. I've never really thought about it much. I just walk to my stand.. usually without a flashlight to boot.

The woods in the dark don't really bother me to much.

early in 05-31-2008 08:52 AM

ORIGINAL: BowKnutt

The only thing that bothers me in the dark, Is in early season the Rattlesnakes are still crawling. Thats usually the only thing on my mind listening for the Rattles!!!
I've read they don't always rattle though! That's the problem.[:@]

Pope94/IA 05-31-2008 09:47 AM

I only gotta walk about 400-500 yards to get to my stand. :D
When ever I go into the stand or come out I always have a arrow on... Not because im scared but because what if I ran into a deer or a coyote feeding or bedding down some where. Thats how I got my very first deer. I was walking to the stand when it was still dark out but light enough to see animals and my sights. The deer was feeding so I just stalked it and got it. If I see a coyote while walking with any weapon in my hand im gonna try and get it no matter what, even if it isn't bothering me.

HNI_Christine 05-31-2008 09:51 AM

A 4 C cell maglite is a pretty good weapon.It can be used to crush the skull of an angry, charging raccoon with one blow. Trust me on this. [&:]