Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Its been a while, slow turkey hunting, still having fun... >

Its been a while, slow turkey hunting, still having fun...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Its been a while, slow turkey hunting, still having fun...

Old 05-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Its been a while, slow turkey hunting, still having fun...

I feel like i havent been on here forever, but i have been running around chasing longbeards. Last week we went to Nebraska for a week. We started off in SE Nebraska, then traveled out west to hunt merriams. The turkey hunting was extremely slow and we just couldnt seem to get them to cooperate.

I have only hunted merriams a few times but they seem to act a lot different than our Eastern birds! One day we called a bird in from a few hundred yards away. At about 100 yards he saw the full strutt decoy, stopped, strutted, and gobbled. He then started running right to the decoy. I thought it was on, but as he dissapeared behind a tree he must have veared off and headed away. We heard him gobble several more times but he wouldnt commit. What have been your alls experience hunting these birds? They seemvery passive. Have any of you had luck using a full strutt decoy on merriams?

Nevertheless we did have a good time hunting and got some nice still pictures. It is a photographic dream up there!

After Nebraska, we headed back to MO for a few days before we got right back on the road and headed to Michigan. This trip was a dual purpose trip because our producer Jason Brown lived up here so we were going to work on finishing up the TV show as well as hunt some turkeys.

The first couple days we were just working on the show and one of Jasons employees, Preston, was telling us about the bowfishing. He didnt have to say much before i had jumped online and purchased a 24hr fishing liscense and we were on our way.

This was definately a different experience for me. Back home we use boats and float rivers and creeks. Up here we waded around the bay and caught the carp spawning in the shallows. They were EVERYWHERE and we simply destroyed them. It was an amazing experience and about as fun as it gets when it comes to bowhunting!

Since then we have been out a couple times chasing turkeys with no luck. The first day was cold, windy, and rainy, and the birds were simply not cooperating. This morning was better, however we got set up and caught off guard with a gobbler roosted behind us. He came in to about 10 yards and we just couldnt move. He got so close and knew something wasnt right and walked off rather than going to the decoy. We might give it a shot this afternoon and try to get one on the ground. If not, its not really a big deal to me. It was worth the trip just for the bowfishing experience. Tomorrow we are packing our bags and hitting the road for the 12hr drive back to Missouri. Back to reality!
Old 05-22-2008, 12:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Its been a while, slow turkey hunting, still having fun...

Sounds like you guys have been putting on the miles. Still having fun though, and that's what it's all about. That is a pile of carp you got there, and there's some big ones in there too.

Cool pics, I especially like the one with the barbwire fence. What a backdrop.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome photos! What camera do you guys use?
Old 05-22-2008, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its a Nikon D60. Its a very nice camera! Its hard to use a regular old digital camera after getting used to that one!
Old 05-22-2008, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great pics MH! Looks like beautiful country
Old 05-22-2008, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

HOLY CARP! lol

man...i wanna go bowfishing!

good luck with the turkeys!
Old 05-22-2008, 04:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

good luck! some very cool pics too
Old 05-22-2008, 05:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's about time for a trail camera thread eh?
Old 05-22-2008, 05:37 PM

I love my Nikon.....it has great depth of field.It was hard to choosewhat pics to post from the ones in NE since there was such great scenery......too bad there wasnt a bleachwhite tipped Merriam in one with us!

I'll try and get more on the Field Journal soon as well.

JS
Old 05-22-2008, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Holy mackeral thats a pile of carp!! Great pics. Heres some SD Meriams 2 buddies took last week Mike, 5 days4 birds hunting cottomwoods along creeks.They did use full strut decoys anddidokay. Next year we are going out there early season with a few more guys, they have permission to hunt 10k acresand lots of farms.

Quick Reply: Its been a while, slow turkey hunting, still having fun...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.