Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you file your nock grooves? >

Do you file your nock grooves?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you file your nock grooves?

Old 05-20-2008, 10:47 AM
Typical Buck

Default Do you file your nock grooves?

I was wondering who files there nocks to get a smoother release of the arrow?I file mine on my target arrows but not my hunting arrows because I dont want them to accidently fall off when shooting at a steep angle.I was at a proshop yesterday and we were talking about this and only 2 guys out of sevensaid they fitted there nocks.If you do fit your nocks do you use the string thump test to check fit?
Old 05-20-2008, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you file your nock grooves?

I've never done anything of the sort. I'd rather choose the proper serving material thickness on the string and a high quality nock component than compromise the nock by removing material.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm with Matt on this one. I've never filed my nocks. I have changed out nocks in the past if the stock ones were too tight/loose, but never filed them down. I'd be too afraid of inconsistency.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think the nock fit is a little more forgiving on a compound. But on traditional they have to be just right. And yes, I serve, file, and compress whenever it is needed. I also use a pressure type nock like a mercury and not a snap on nock. And yes, mine will fall off easily with just a tap on the string. I've dropped more then one out of a treestand. [:@]

Old 05-20-2008, 11:27 AM
bigcountry

I don't file, but I get boiling water and put my nock (with arrow) in it to get soft and fit on my serving just so nock holds the arrow wieght on the string and I can bounce off.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't even know there was such a thing a a nock that didn't fit.[&:][&o] So how do you know if the nock fits properly?
Old 05-20-2008, 12:09 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I don't file, but I get boiling water and put my nock (with arrow) in it to get soft and fit on my serving just so nock holds the arrow wieght on the string and I can bounce off.
Thats a real good idea big country.Like I said earlier I filed my target nocks and I have never had one fail and I shoot 70#.As for consistancy I really havent noticed any difference.I only take a few swipes at each side.I have noticed a significantly better arrow release and quieter release doing this.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would never even consider doing this. Simply get things to fit properly from the start.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:23 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-20-2008, 12:24 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the input guys.When I buy my strings I have never specified serving diameter to fit my nocks.I also have always just used the nocks that came with the arrows.

Quick Reply: Do you file your nock grooves?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.