Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How sharp is sharp enough? >

How sharp is sharp enough?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How sharp is sharp enough?

Old 05-19-2008, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How sharp is sharp enough?

I suggest as sharp as you can get it. But, I could dull a broadhead to where it would be hard to cut yourself and still punch it thru a deers' ribcage and kill it.
I don't suggest this. I'm just making the point that you don't have to drive yourself crazy trying to get that perfect razor sharp edge.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

IMO muzzys are borderline...but, they have a nice angle that doesnt dull as fast as a steeper angle that is initially sharper....

the idea is to have a head that is sharp and carries that sharpness. you want the head to slice nice and clean...not rip, tear, and push its way through. if it hits the edge of an artery or blood vessle or vein etc, a dull head can and will "push" it away from the blade without cutting it it at all.

yes, you send one through the vitals with a dull head or even field point, that deer is dead.....but, a sharper head will do more damage and cut more resulting in more blood loss and tissue damage resulting in a faster death and quicker/easier recovery. thats what we all strive for...the quickest kill possible.

not saying EVERY time or anything like that...every deer is different and will react differently to being shot...and shot placement is everything. but, a sharp broadhead that carries its edge the whole way through will be the best killer every time.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:42 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-19-2008, 11:45 AM
Typical Buck

if they can shave i think they're good enough
Old 05-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Typical Buck

I agree mauser you hit it right on the head.

ORIGINAL: mauser06

IMO muzzys are borderline...but, they have a nice angle that doesnt dull as fast as a steeper angle that is initially sharper....

the idea is to have a head that is sharp and carries that sharpness. you want the head to slice nice and clean...not rip, tear, and push its way through. if it hits the edge of an artery or blood vessle or vein etc, a dull head can and will "push" it away from the blade without cutting it it at all.

yes, you send one through the vitals with a dull head or even field point, that deer is dead.....but, a sharper head will do more damage and cut more resulting in more blood loss and tissue damage resulting in a faster death and quicker/easier recovery. thats what we all strive for...the quickest kill possible.

not saying EVERY time or anything like that...every deer is different and will react differently to being shot...and shot placement is everything. but, a sharp broadhead that carries its edge the whole way through will be the best killer every time.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:08 PM
Typical Buck

Has anybody ever heard of the rubber band test? Where you stretch a rubber band and slide your broadhead through it and if it cuts it it's sharp enough and if it dont your blades are too dull..
Old 05-19-2008, 03:35 PM
Site Bouncer

If the broad head will shave the hair on my arm with Little to no effort, then it's sharp enough for me.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:42 PM
Typical Buck

There is a real good article in Deer and Deer hunting magazine August 2008 issue about this.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's only May, and their August '08 issue is out?
Old 05-19-2008, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: early in

It's only May, and their August '08 issue is out?
Yeah if you are a subscriber they send your mags about 2 months early.Im not sure why but Im not complaining.

Quick Reply: How sharp is sharp enough?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.