Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Your worst hunt stories... >

Your worst hunt stories...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Your worst hunt stories...

Old 05-15-2008, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Your worst hunt stories...

In Nov 1996 I came home from a morning hunt. I watched one of the biggest bucks i've ever seen chase a doe around my neighbors woods. My dad stopped over and he watched as well. Finally I could take no more. I grabbed my bow and went over there. I circled around and sat near the back edge of his property. a while later the doe came running full blast. She turned to my left and ran by me at 20yds. the buck was following. I picked an opening and as he ran thru I released an arrow. I hit him right in the shoulder blade. I got very little penetration. He was a VERY high racked 8 pointer and had unbelievable mass. I have one on the wall with 40" of mass and I know this one was thicker!
Needles to say I didn't get him[&o]
Old 05-16-2008, 08:25 AM

I'm going to need a shrink ,Just to think about them. I have a few to many missed chance. Who brought this up ,now I got a sour filling in my gut.

[/align]
Old 05-16-2008, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I made a huge mistake a few years ago. I was rifle hunting on a ridge and I was watching these deer walk the ridge. I was looking for a certain buck on my farm and I had no doe tags. As I was watching these deer in the snow walk threw the briars on the ridge I saw him he steped into an opening and my scope fogged up[:@]So i quickly wiped my scope with a paper towel from my pocket pulled the gun up saw the deer found the boiler room and squeezed BANG!!!! Deer scatter everywhere! SO I start my walk down the hill and up the other side. I see the deers belly I was pumped I got up to it pulled it out of the thicket and BAM it was a doe...**** there is no way! [:-]I know it was a buck! Well The only thing I can think of is that when I went to wipe my scope the buck moved on and a doe stood directly where he was head behind the brush! So I clean her up drag her to my car and I call the game warden whom I know. He comes down I explain to him what happens and he says Tim you done it this time...So I'm nervous as hell now. He said where is your doe tag I told him I got my doe in archery he said where is your buck tag I gave it to him. He said pay more attention to your shot next time! He took my deer for the feed the hungry and allowed me to keep hunting. Everytime we see each other he reminds me and I'm still buying him a beer for it. It was an honest mistake but I felt like crap about it and he still reminds me of it all the time. We joke about it now but it was not a joking matter at the time! I was upset! Never did get that buck I was looking for and recently quit gun hunting!
Old 05-19-2008, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dayna0306

I'm going to need a shrink ,Just to think about them. I have a few to many missed chance. Who brought this up ,now I got a sour filling in my gut.

[/align]
Haha yeah I figured this would bring up some bad memories, sorry. Some of these are funny though haha. WCL
Old 05-19-2008, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Steven McBee---" i was sitting in a big oak when i hear growling from belowi look down and 7 coons were climbing my stand trying to get to the baby coons i did not know were 3 feet above my head...........i started whispering telling them to leave but they didnt, soon i was screaming and kicking and cursing to get them to go away but they still didnt.............i then triedslapping them with my arrow but that didnt work and at a distance of .5 feet, i stuck my knife through the leaders head, killing her almost instantly, luckily all the others left and since it was such an amazing scenerio, i decided to get the coon mounted and now its sitting in my hunting room !!! this may sound like a joke but i will post pics tomarrow of the devilcoon..............ive also gotten attacked by a wounded goose, and i was ran over by a doe on a deer drive "

HAHAHAHAHA!!

Old 05-19-2008, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

For me one of the worst is when I first started bowhunting--I didnt even have a climbing stand so I hunted from the ground. I laid down some doe in heat scent before sunrise....I had a nice 7 pointer come in on a rope to the trail I was working. He was about 15 yards from where I wanted to shoot broadside. I raised my bow and then....I heard a LOUD grunt over and over behind me. It sent shivers down my dang spine. I slowly turned around and not 15 yards right behind me was one of the biggest bucks I have seen to this day, a massive 10-12 point. I froze. He looked dead at me and acted as if he wanted to KILL me! He then grunted loud and began chasing the 7 point around the edge of the lake I was hunting. Needless to say I shot neither of them!

Old 05-19-2008, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

lol thats another funny one. WCL
Old 05-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Fork Horn

my first year hunting, new years day. i was sitting at the base of a huge oak tree in a man made turkey blind. sat there all day freezing my nards off, so i decided to walk around for a bit just to warm up. so i get up, walk about 30yrds. from where i was sitting and realize i left my cushion seat. just as i turn back to get it, i hear this crazy thrashing noise just over the crest of the hill(roughly 20 yrds. from stand site) i was on top of. i manage to get back to the tree and start to look around, nothing!! i go to reach for my cushion and off he goes..biggest 10pt. i ever saw. if i would have waited five more minutes he'd be on my wall.
about ten minutes later i hear more noise, raise my shotgun thinking it was another buck, nope it was an old man that kicked up that buck. he asked why i didn't shoot, i told him, he laughed. that's why whenever i leave the woods nowi always wait that extra five min......man o man
Old 05-19-2008, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: djs06dc5

about ten minutes later i hear more noise, raise my shotgun thinking it was another buck, nope it was an old man that kicked up that buck.
Dan,
I'm not slamming you personally and I hope that you learned from the experience, especially since it was your first year hunting. Never raise a weapon until you're sure it's something that you're going to shoot.
My worst day hunting, my best friend and hunting buddy was shot and almost died. He was hit with a 12 gauge slug, from someone else in our hunting party no less.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:49 PM

Had the bottom part of my climber come un locked and slide to the bottom of the tree. Had no choice but to yell like a girl after about seven hours.

Quick Reply: Your worst hunt stories...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.