Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is this an affordable sport? >

Is this an affordable sport?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is this an affordable sport?

Old 05-13-2008, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is this an affordable sport?

With the ever rising gas prices, and directly related overall cost of daily living items going up, people spending less money on hobbies/recreation...it had me thinking. In reality, this hobby/sport can be as cheap or as expensive as you make it in reality, but as a whole, don't you think we're lucky to be able to pursue an activity that is still somewhat affordable in today's times?

I got out of offroading due to the overwhelming costs it involved. The closest offroad park is now 2hrs away, my built truck got about 17mpg, you generally came away from a run with at least ONE broken item on your vehicle if you were lucky, a built vehicle requires maitenance, daily park fees in excess of $30, tires in the $800 range that last 1-2years...less if you blow one on the trail, ever-lingering threat of snapping big $$$ parts such as axle shafts, R&Ps, driveshafts, etc. Bowhunting/archery, however, seems to be a much more affordable hobby. Really if you look at the barebones equipment scenario, here's what you need:

Bow (can be 30yrs old, or one day old)
Land to hunt (here can be the more expensive part, but generaly there's public land for most people who don't want to or have the option to own/leas)
Camo (again doesn't need to be head to toe scent blocker, micro-fleece, etc)...heck you technically don't even need the camo
License
Arrows
Gas to drive to your lease/land (ok...here's where your major expense comes in)

Cost of watching the woods come to life on an October morning 20ft up: PRICELESS

Thought I would put a somewhat positive spin on today's somewhat "bad" times. What do you guys think?
Old 05-13-2008, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Is this an affordable sport?

IMO it is cheaper than the shooting sports. I was a casual shooter and it was expensive. Ammo is expensive and guns are expensive. Affordable is different to everyone, but I would say you could get into archery for cheaper than you could get into other outdoor sports. As long as you are content with basic equipment, I would think it would be completely possible to get completely setup for under $300.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have all I need, No more new bows for awhile.
I am sticking with a BH i can resharpen.
I have all the treestands I need.

I should be good!!

Old 05-13-2008, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hear you Matt. I got out of my project car for the same reason. I had done everything to the car that could have been done without getting into big dollar items like a built motor and custom tranny. I took a car that put down 130ish whp stock and made almost 380whp with it. In the end, I had more than enough $$$ in that thing to have put a really nice downpayment on a house, and every dollar I put into it depreciated in value. That was really the point where I decided to sell the parts off, get rid of the vehicle, get into my current Subaru, and take up target archery.

Archery and hunting isn't cheap by any means, but at least the property I'm hunting is appreciating in value, and if I'm broke just about any bow will do. I don't even have a hunting bow right now, but I'm not concerned because I know I can grab just about anything for whatever price I can afford at the time and get out there.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rick James

I hear you Matt. I got out of my project car for the same reason. I had done everything to the car that could have been done without getting into big dollar items like a built motor and custom tranny. I took a car that put down 130ish whp stock and made almost 380whp with it. In the end, I had more than enough $$$ in that thing to have put a really nice downpayment on a house, and every dollar I put into it depreciated in value. That was really the point where I decided to sell the parts off, get rid of the vehicle, get into my current Subaru, and take up target archery.

Archery and hunting isn't cheap by any means, but at least the property I'm hunting is appreciating in value, and if I'm broke just about any bow will do. I don't even have a hunting bow right now, but I'm not concerned because I know I can grab just about anything for whatever price I can afford at the time and get out there.
Yeah the depreciation was another aspect that turned me off. I bought my truck for $6800...then dumped about $3-$4K in it, and sold it four years later for $4800[&:] I didn't mean to insinuate that this is a cheap sport, but relatively speaking, it's pretty low budget. Granted many of us don't do the low budget thing, but if we had to, we could still enjoy it just as much. I'm also fortunate enough to live close to my cabin, and live on my main hunting ground. I can walk out the back door and shoot as much as I want, hunt as much, etc.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:30 PM

^ i dont offroad right now, but i am getting a truck that i am making a mud truck in a week or so. so i know what you mean, but my dad is a mechanicso it is alot cheaper, plus i can do mostly everything my self. but you are right hunting gear isnt that bad it is just getting to the hunting spot is what it sort of bad. just wondering what kind of truck did you have?
Old 05-13-2008, 07:33 PM

It CAN be cheap, but once you get into it...it certainly isn't.

Bowfishing is more expensive than bowhunting for me, gas bill alone for truck, boat, and genny is outrageous.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: millerhunter13

^ i dont offroad right now, but i am getting a truck that i am making a mud truck in a week or so. so i know what you mean, but my dad is a mechanicso it is alot cheaper, plus i can do mostly everything my self. but you are right hunting gear isnt that bad it is just getting to the hunting spot is what it sort of bad. just wondering what kind of truck did you have?
Check the signature...Toyota all the way Actually, a 96 Tacoma Ext Cab 2.7 5spd. 2.5" body King Coilovers up front, PC AAL w/Bilstein 5100s out back. 3" RB BL, custom armor all over. CBI offroad winch bumper, custom sliders (I made most of them), custom rear bumper (I made it as well). 33x12.50r15 Trxus M/Ts, regeared to 4.88s, etc. It rocked (excuse the pun) offroad. Didn't do much mudding, but mostly rockcrawling. I did most of the work myself as well, but it still was too costly

Old 05-13-2008, 08:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think once your set up, your set up. Unless you try to keep up with the jones'. Arrows and broadheads might be the only thing needed to be replaced in a few years! This season I can buy a license and gas and go and hunt, probably for few years to come!
Old 05-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Typical Buck

Only until you theadd 3.98 a gallon to get you to the woods.[:@]

Quick Reply: Is this an affordable sport?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.