Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Too much shooting? Long term effects. >

Too much shooting? Long term effects.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Too much shooting? Long term effects.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Too much shooting? Long term effects.

So this is more of a health related question pertaining to archery. As most of you know, I'm in the process of switching to left handed. I do a lot of drawing drills (just practicing drawing back, holding, then easing down). RJ recommended about 1000 of these "reps" to get the cycle built into muscle memory. I work out regularly, but I'm certainly using muscles in different ways (i.e. putting stress and strain on them). I'm getting much more smooth in the my drills, and can last much longer holding than before, but how much drawing back, letting down (even just firing) can our bodies take in the long run? I'm only 23, but I've been shooting since I was 14, and plan to shoot even more frequently as I get more into it. I stay in shape, and try to stay healthy, but you have to wonder if frequent shooting (I'm talking not you're weekend warrior) can lead to shoulder injuries/detoriation. I don't want to loose a lot of shoulder/arm use by the time I'm 60 because I over did it, nor do I want to mess with anything serious like rotator cuff issues at that age. So what are your thoughts on this?
Old 05-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Too much shooting? Long term effects.

The key is draw weight and/or draw cycle. I feel issues and slight pain in my rotator cuffs (both) when I'm shooting more often than normal. I'm sure if I was shooting the 1000+ arrows a week that I was 2 years ago I would have a lot of pain, and I know that is what did a lot of the wear and tear I'm experiencing now. These days the bows that I shoot a lot of shots out of I never draw more than 60lbs on, and for indoor/fita specific bows I much prefer 52-55lbs. My current 3D bow I'm shooting 59lbs.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well funny you say that, I have been shooting left handed for 21 years and my shoulder was pretty tore up this year! I could not even draw my bow anymore! I had a pretty rough job to working in a quarry alot of heavy lifting! I recently had it operated on and am still trying to build it back up! Now wheather its from alot of shooting or just a little of both? Its not 100% anymore but its better than before!
Old 05-12-2008, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

my left rotator cup aint going to last to much longer(infact it hurts like hell now),but i just cant put the bow down .
Old 05-12-2008, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: drenal

my left rotator cup aint going to last to much longer(infact it hurts like hell now),but i just cant put the bow down .
You will when you can not draw no more!
Old 05-12-2008, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let me ask this in addition. Do you think overally level of health in an archer is directly related to the longetivity of his/her shoulder/shooting muscles in general? That is to say, an archer who doesn't work out much, but shoots often (so even though the rest of their body may be out of shape, their shooting muscles are in tune) is more likely to suffer shoulder injury/fatigue over the years compared to an archer who stays in good shape, and fires the same load of arrows in a lifetime as the "out of shape archer?"
Old 05-12-2008, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

started to see issues as well I am 38 but my left shoulder has been having burning stabbing pains - too much heavy lifting(work not weights) and trying to play he-man shooting 8olbs all the time - but will continue to shoot just have to stay away from the hard cams and heavy poundage
Old 05-12-2008, 07:26 PM

I'm closer to 60 than 50 and am going to have to pace myself to stay in this game for another ten years. Went to a 60 lb. bow. Like the smoother drawing bows that are of moderate speed. Rotator cuff and elbow get real tender if I shoot for an extended session. Takes a least a week to recover. But I can still easily shoot enough to get the bow tuned and sighted in. 3-D is pretty much out of the question, though.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Those of you suffering shoulder issues, do you attribute that to your shooting career, or just general wear? I know our bodies slowly decline as we get older. Joints become stiffer, muscles loss occurs, arthitis can set in, etc. Do you guys think this is accelerated by shooting? I suppose what I'm getting after is I have an extreme fear of my body aging...not so much getting older in general, just not being able to function very well when I'm older.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:32 PM

I would say draw weight is the key to longevity. The older you get the weaker you may get, and then you need to adjust accordingly. I still pull 70+ # at 33 yrs old, and will continue to do it as long as I don't hurt or can do it with ease. As a former powerlifter/bodybuilder/ fat slob now, I can tell you that working out is a + for archery, but lifting heavy weights like I did is stupid. When i was 23 yr old I could bench 380 lbs for a one rep max at 180 lbs of body weight. I used to do 650 lbs shoulder shrugs with the straight bar. I used to do 3 sets of 6 of 285 lbs on the bench for my mass program and then work down to a 3 rep routine for strength. People in the gym used to look at me and swear I was on roids but I never took them.My point......what does that matter now??? Nothing but back ache/neck pain/ and joint aches.... pull it if ya can, but don't push it.

Quick Reply: Too much shooting? Long term effects.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.