Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's your absolutely best tip? >

What's your absolutely best tip?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's your absolutely best tip?

Old 05-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default What's your absolutely best tip?

Let's hear 'em: whether it applies to shooting, tuning or hunting... what's your ONE best tip that would make people envious they'd never thought of it before?

If you've got a couple "one best tips"... that's ok, but the idea is they're singular in nature.

I'll start off ...

When hunting funnels, often times we as bowhunters encounter a couple trails paralleling each other, yet they're far enough away that we can't "cover" them both by placing a stand in the middle. For example, two trails running parallel to each other that are 85 yards apart in the woods; you could split the difference, but a 43-yard shot to either trail is really an iffy proposition. You're going to have to pick one to cover.

If you know which way the deer are coming from, you can backtrack that direction several hundred yards on the trail you can't cover and hangone of yourt-shirts or some socks from a vantage point where the approaching deer are sure to catch its scent. Hopefully, it'll funnel all the deer that day down the trail you're set up on.

Another I heard today...

Take some string wax and put a big glob of it on the e-clips of your axles; it serves a couple purposes: One, it helps to "weathercoat" your axles from inclement weather by keeping moisture from getting down the axle holes in the limbs, and two, you've got a handy supply of wax at the ready to coat your string if you notice fraying or you're worried about sitting in that rain and want some extra protection for your string.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What's your absolutely best tip?

Greg,
If you look at a post I put up recently "one of my hunting spots", you'll notice that the southern deer travel route has a red "X" on it. No one asked what it was for, and I wasn't going to say unless someone did, but it's where, last year, I put up a wooden frame and put a white "T" shirt and a ball cap to"refine my funnel" and makethe deer use the trail I was hunting. Worked like a charm.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Always.....always.....enter the woods very early in the morning.....

When you walk in you will make your presence known...no matter how good you think you are...

Get in early so you can let the woods get back to normal so it can remain calm....When the critters head back to their bedding areas.....you will be a big suprise to them.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bow tip: Take your bow somewhere where it is real quiet. draw it and listen for any noise. When your shooting you may not notice it but when that deer is close on one of those quiet evenings any noise will surely get you busted.

Second tip: Never admit that you shoot fawns
Old 05-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Let's hear 'em: whether it applies to shooting, tuning or hunting... what's your ONE best tip that would make people envious they'd never thought of it before?

If you've got a couple "one best tips"... that's ok, but the idea is they're singular in nature.

I'll start off ...

When hunting funnels, often times we as bowhunters encounter a couple trails paralleling each other, yet they're far enough away that we can't "cover" them both by placing a stand in the middle. For example, two trails running parallel to each other that are 85 yards apart in the woods; you could split the difference, but a 43-yard shot to either trail is really an iffy proposition. You're going to have to pick one to cover.

If you know which way the deer are coming from, you can backtrack that direction several hundred yards on the trail you can't cover and hangone of yourt-shirts or some socks from a vantage point where the approaching deer are sure to catch its scent. Hopefully, it'll funnel all the deer that day down the trail you're set up on.

Another I heard today...

Take some string wax and put a big glob of it on the e-clips of your axles; it serves a couple purposes: One, it helps to "weathercoat" your axles from inclement weather by keeping moisture from getting down the axle holes in the limbs, and two, you've got a handy supply of wax at the ready to coat your string if you notice fraying or you're worried about sitting in that rain and want some extra protection for your string.
I try to funnel the deer by placing an obstruction in their path. Such as branches. If possible, well b4 season.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:39 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-09-2008, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

If in doubt....back out! To me this is one of the most important ones as most people know.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:54 PM

Don't eat the yellow snow.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:08 PM

Never give up. This goes for hunting, as well as preparation. If there's a will, there's a way. Money is extremely tight, believe me I know. But sweat equity is worth it's weight in gold sometimes. Get out there, get creative, and get it done.

On the hunting end of things....Season ain't over till it's over. Also.....we talk an aweful lot about location around here. I believe I'm a prime example of this.....If you aren't happy w/ your current location, find another one.

I hunted my home area hard for several years, and became positively convinced they weren't there. So, I did a little work, found a new spot, killed a good one the 3rd morning in. It's not going to be handed to you, you gotta go get it. Never give up.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

If possable check out the tree you plan to hunt from before the actual hunt. Nothing like climbing a tree early season and a hord of yellowjackets are under the bark.

Quick Reply: What's your absolutely best tip?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.