Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Are your woods creepy? >

Are your woods creepy?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are your woods creepy?

Old 05-08-2008, 08:05 PM

Default RE: Are your woods creepy?

ORIGINAL: MO_Bowhnter

I don't hnt near any cemetery's but if I had the oppurtunity I doubt I would anyway. Something about cemeterys tucked back in the woods and the dark... Not for me!
I mean do you think one of the graves will rise up ??? Come on your a grown ass man/woman.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:17 PM

Yep, I've seen the hand coming up out of the dirt...
Old 05-08-2008, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Original: PreacherTony

Now it doesn't surprise me that LT gets nervous .....he's a Betty AND he lives where men are men and sheep and out-of-towners are nervous ......... did someone hear a banjo???
This is just wrong on so many levels PT. I mean, we don't um, bother any out-of towners... no, none.

The cemetary thing is the last on my list. I live and hunt right next to one. Those folks definately are not gonna hurt you.

Dark piney woods always get the best of me. Just something about a flashlight (3D Maglite) that will only shine 20yds in any direction. That is just gettin too dark for my liking.

LT
Old 05-08-2008, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can only think of once that I've ever been scared out in the woods, and I'll tell you, I was terrified. I wasn't deer hunting, but rabbit hunting with my beagles. We were hunting in the Black River bottoms in Missouri, and we came up to a large tree that had gone down during the growing season. All the leaves were still on it. As my first dog got close, he froze, growled and then his tail went between his legs and he started backing off. I don't know about you, but when my dog is walking backwards, growling with it's tail between it's legs, I get worried. I looked back at my other dog and he wasn't coming anywhere near that tree. Hehadn't winded whatever it was yet, but he was taking the que from my other dog, and histail was between his legs also. I was only standing 20 feet from the tree when I said out loud "what's wrong, boy" and as soon as the words left my mouth, I heard a deep, gutteral growl come from that tree. My gun snapped up, safety went off, the hair on the back of my neck stood on end and I felt that sick feeling inmy gut you get when you know you're in real trouble.I did the only thing I could do. Backed off... real slow... just knowing something was going to come charging out at me. Imust have walked backwards through the woods for a half mile with my gun at the ready, and then kept looking over my shoulder all the way home, which was about 4 miles. I'll never know for sure, but I'm convinced that the only thing in that part of MO that could have made that sound was amountain lion. I don't believe we had any bears around there. I never saw any sign. Either way, I sure wasn't going to try to find out with only a 12 gaugewith #6 shot.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:09 PM
Typical Buck

Well I'm a smaller guy, and i've always been weary of bears in the woods even if "they're more afraid of me than i am of them". My deer stand is close enough to our cabin that i normally walk to it when gun season rolls around (sorry guys!). although it didnt happen to me personally, but it did happen in my stand... one of the guys that hunts the muzzleloader season after the regular 9 day gun season said he walked to my stand and hunted the afternoon and when he walked out that evening he saw bear tracks on top of his boot tracks in the snow, so in my mind that bear was stalking him, but changed his mind and turned off into the woods. If i ever saw that in the woods i'd probably need new boxers when i got back to the cabin! thats about all the creeps me out in the woods, that and unknown sounds.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

I've never been scared of the woods or the critters in it... just the creepy people I sometimes run into while out there. (and I've run into some real winners)

I did get a bit nervouswhen I was down at a lease about 3 hours from home. I decided to sleep in my truck so I could hunt in the morning. The landowner had mentioned that there was a guy who trespassed on the property and was supposedly a not-so-stand-up kind of citizen. So there I was, sleeping in my truck which was parked out in a field, hoping this guy didn't decide to show up. I had my pistol with me but I kept thinking, if I wake up and there's some guy leering in the window, I can't just shoot him.. What do I do? Say 'hi' and hope for the best? Anyhow, I woke up about 20 times and every time I expected to see a shadow of somebody looking in the truck. (and I could hear stuff walking around the truck but I think it was the cows.) It wasn't my best night's sleep ever. [8D]
Old 05-08-2008, 11:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm right at home in the woods. day or night. I hunt where there are wolves and black bears. They don't bother me. I had some wolves very close to me one early morn. it was light enough to see where i was walking but not much more. they were up wind of me so I know they wouldn't smell me. That made me nervous. I grabbed an arrow from my quiver. I figured that if they were headed my way they would be very close b4 they would know I was there. when they howled again I could tell they were headed away. I figured if they wanted me I would at least try to take one of them with me.

being in a big city after dark would give me the willies. Thats where the real dangerous animals live.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bloodcreek

Just a foot note here two seasons ago i was walking out in the dark and kept hearing something behind me. it would stop when i did to look around and begain following me when i would start to leave. It sounded about 25 yards behind me in the weeds [X(]I was about to crap my pants because i just knew it was Raptor about to attack. It ended up being my pull roap came undone from my climber [&:]DOH!!!

I don't know if anyone else read this one but it's worth taking the time to do so...LMAO...
Old 05-09-2008, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bloodcreek

Just a foot note here two seasons ago i was walking out in the dark and kept hearing something behind me. it would stop when i did to look around and begain following me when i would start to leave. It sounded about 25 yards behind me in the weeds [X(]I was about to crap my pants because i just knew it was Raptor about to attack. It ended up being my pull roap came undone from my climber [&:]DOH!!!
OMG, people are staring at me at work because I'm laughing so loud at this. That is great. Stalking yourself, hey Dan?

None of my spots have any predators in them except coyotes and black bears so I feel pretty safe. The one spot I have does give me the heeby jeebys, but not because of any animal in there. It is very close to the city and not in a great part of it and there are burned out cars from stolen joy rides, cigarette machines, and all kinds of strange stolen items in those woods. That spot is also where my car was broken into and where I ran into the meth head. I am seriously considering retiring that spot.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know my wife has... but I can't say I felt that way since I was in gradeschool. I figured there isn't anything out there that is going to hurt me, so there isn't any reason to be afraid of the area. I've been next to cemetaries, old abandonedfarmsted's & towns, "supposevily" haunted areas...All of which should be creepyin the dark, but it's more intriguing to me to huntthose areas, than creepy.

But every year I seem to "almost" step on a covey of quail. And when you're half asleep, & in the dark it's almost impossible for my heart not to jump in my throat.

Nowif I was in the remote mountains or northern territories..etc., i'm sure I might feel different.

Quick Reply: Are your woods creepy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.