Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting under the influence >

Hunting under the influence

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting under the influence

Old 05-08-2008, 07:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hunting under the influence

I'm in no way defending the guy by saying this but he blew a 0.06, that is less than the legal limit. He did have weed in his system but was he high at the time of the shooting? Now the guy had enough half empty beer packs to get us all buzzed but the link posted doesn't show that he was legally drunk. Now I feel he shouldn't have had any booze in him but he would have likely still pissed pot since it stays in the bloodstream for weeks. For kicks could this have been a careless accident and he happened to have a few beers and smoked some weed earlier in the day but wasn't drunk or high?
I was sitting here thinking the same thing. What IS the "legal limit" for hunting? He was within his rights to drive in my state.

I can tell you with 100% honesty.....I "may" have gone to stand before....at a .06. I have no way of knowing. I alsoknow by the time shooting light came (and even when I got there).....I was fine.

Sad, though.....truly (the man killing his son).
Old 05-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm in no way defending the guy but damn he does got to live with the fact that he killed his son accidentally!! That right there to me is enough punishment but at the same time if he gets a long sentence out of this I'm not going to lose allot of sleep.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unless this guy has a history of DWI's or other convictions, he will no doubt end upin a 3-4 month lockdown treatment program and be out on probation for about 5 years after completion. The same thing happens when it's the result ofa car wreck when the operator is under the influence, happens way too often.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm 47 years old and I've never killed anything which could be considered a trophy by most people. My largest deer only had 6 points and I've never hunted elk, moose or caribou. The one thing that I have had happen to me was my best friend was shot and almost killed by another hunter, by someone in our group no less. I truely hopethat none of you ever have to experience what I did that day, no animal is worth comprimising the safety of anyone. I was with my best friend Vinny, several years after his accidentwhen I shot that 6 point buck, that's a true trophy. I know that all of you feel that you're safe hunters but it wouldn't hurt all of us to revisit the rules taught to us during hunter safety class. How many of us at one time or another forgot our binoculars and used a riflescope to check out a noise or movement? Has anyone taken the safety off before POSITIVELY identifying the animal as one that you're going to shoot? Does everyone unloaded their weapon everytime beforeclimbing a tree, handing their gun to a partner, crossing a creek or fence? I don't know what this kids father was thinking before he shot him but I do know that the kid wasn't dressed in a gobbler suit. If you think carefully about it, hunter orange clothing would be unnecessary if everyone followed safe hunting practices.
I appologize for rambling and I'll get off of my soapbox now, this subject just hits a sore spot with me.....Mike
Old 05-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

When I originally read about this accident, I was pretty sure that this man was under the influence of something as I stated in my reply. This guy will live with this for the rest of his life, and I wouldn't want to walk in his shoes. That was his little boy! If anything good can come of this terrible story, I pray this will get and keep this man sober.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:41 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I'm in no way defending the guy but damn he does got to live with the fact that he killed his son accidentally!! That right there to me is enough punishment but at the same time if he gets a long sentence out of this I'm not going to lose allot of sleep.
you know I am a Christian, but if it happened to me, I think I would one probably just throw myself at the mercy of the court and tell em to give me a death penalty. Or most likely just do society a favor there on the spot of the incident. I am not sure I could go on. Even if I was sober as a judge.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:22 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: twildasin

ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

I'm very sad to here about things like this. I look at it 2 ways
1. Throw the book at this guy.
2. Whatgreater punishment can you give a guy that just killed his own son?
Additional time in a small cell so he can ponder how many other peoples lives he has caused such grief.
put pictures of his son all over the walls of his jail cellso he can feel the pain his whole time behind bars which is hopefully the rest of his life![:@]
OUCH! I can't say that I disagree, though. I guess I'd want to hear if this was an isolated ocurrence, or if this guy had always been a piece of crap and it was just a matter of time until he hurt or killed someone. If it was a single mistake, then this would be excessive, but if it was common for this guy to sleaze out, then torture away.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'd have to be blowing a lot more than a .06 to mistake a human for a turkey.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

you know I am a Christian, but if it happened to me, I think I would one probably just throw myself at the mercy of the court and tell em to give me a death penalty. Or most likely just do society a favor there on the spot of the incident. I am not sure I could go on. Even if I was sober as a judge.
In all honesty Bigcountry I don't think I could go on!! I really don't think I could go on if I accidently took the life of my kid 100% sober. I really feel for this family.[&o]
Old 05-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't think I would want to relive this in HNI. I've read the post but not the articles. I have a hard time with the thought of shooting someone because of hunter safety. It a serious subject to be discussed when hunting somewhere. Always discuss the hunt, where you wil be and where you will show up.

Quick Reply: Hunting under the influence

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.