Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Lady hunters Help! >

Lady hunters Help!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lady hunters Help!

Old 02-23-2003, 10:16 AM

Default Lady hunters Help!

O.K. So I wanted to start bowhinting but have not bought a bow yet,brother says I need a compound bow,I dont have alot of strength as I had cancer some years ago and never regained all my strength.My questoin is can some of you ladies recommend a bow for a beginner?I am thinking deer for the freezer.
Old 02-23-2003, 11:48 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-23-2003, 11:51 AM

Default RE: Lady hunters Help!

Hi judi,
Yes, I can recommend a bow for you. I started shooting bow 4 years ago. My first bow was a Mathews MQ-32. I started out shooting a 40# draw, 26" draw length. Today I shoot a Mathews Ultra 2 and FX, 55# draw. Mathews seems to be the smoothest shooting bow I found, and I tested out a quite a few. I think a compound bow would be easier to shoot than a recurve if you don' t have a lot of strength. I don' t know where you live, but find a GOOD sporting goods supplier that specializes in bows, not a " DICKS" or " Cabela' s" . A dealer that specializes in just archery equipment should be able to set you up with a good set up.
Old 02-23-2003, 04:06 PM
tm
Fork Horn

Great tips so far, especially about the pro shop. I' ve set up several women hunters and the FX seems to be real popular, especially with the minimax cam. Go for it.!!!!!
Old 02-23-2003, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hello. I started years ago with a old compound with a low draw weight and I am now able to shoot my Parker Ultra Lite 31 at 60 lbs. I also own a Forge Lighting Strike that is also a very good womens bow. There are many bows out there for women to shoot, I suggest you start with a weight that you find easy to draw back and hold and with time and practice your muscles will strengthen and allow you the option to increase your bow poundage. I did some shopping around for a new bow last year and found many good bows out there for the shorter draw and lower weight individuals. Search the bow companys out there(Parker, Forge,Hoyt,PSE,Matthews,Bowtech,Reflex,Renagade,et c........There are so many) and read the specs on the bows on their websites to help you narrow your search.I dont know if you have any previous experience with archery shooting, If you havent it takes alot of time and practice and learning with you and your bow before you are really ready to hunt. Shooting the 3D courses is a great way to hone your skills for shot placement and yardage estimations in preperation for hunting season.I am also a moderator for www.womenhunters.com website, you might want to ask the ladies there for some info on bows that have worked well for them, it might help you to narrow your search. I hope you find the bow that is right for you and have a great time shooting and hunting. Keep us posted and let us know how your search for a bow goes etc.
Old 02-24-2003, 11:16 AM

Bowtech came out with a new bow that is specifically for women and others of short draw length called the " lady hawk." It is the first bow that I have seen built for youth/women that is on par with the better men' s bows.

It is light (under 3 lbs), forgiving (over 7" brace height) and fast for a short bow (IBO around 280). It retails for around $475 depending on dealer. It is also very sharp looking if that matters.

Mrs. bowtex will have one when her birthday rolls around in March.

Old 02-24-2003, 05:00 PM

I started out with a Parker Challenger set at 37 lbs. I got a 7 point buck with it my first year hunting in 2000. The Parker was $279 at the time. I shoot a Hoyt HavocTec now. You' ll love bowhunting, it is addicting!