Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Indiana bird down (pic) wild story >

Indiana bird down (pic) wild story

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Indiana bird down (pic) wild story

Old 04-30-2008, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Indiana bird down (pic) wild story

Hunted Tuesday morning, had a bird hollering all morning. Looked behind my set up and seen three Toms walking behing me at about 60 yards, they were headed away. I called, they briefly looked and turned slightly as if to come in beside me. I lost vision of them but soon heard them gobbling to my left about 50 yards in the corner of the field. I could not see them because my sons pop up blind was 10 yards to my left, i was in a natural ground blind. After about an hour of them hung up and gobbling there heads off, i started cutting real hard on the diaphram. They finally commited and started walking in to the deeks, the first was in full strut the second was just walking. this was going to put them behind the deeks at 35 yards according to sticks i had placed in the field for markers. Just when its going to happen a Jake pops up from no where and walks in and stand in front of me at ten yards []i cant move and watched them walk away. fast forward to around 1.00 pm ish. I drove the property looking for lone birds to set up on with no luck. Decided to go to a place that i always see them in the middle of the day on a four wheeler trail and just set up and see if anything shows. I just crested the trail and almost bumped into birds real close. I ducked into the brush, set up and called with no luck after about 20 minutes. I did not even know if any were Toms. I snuck back out on the trail, walked up the trail a little more and seen what i thought was a pop up blind. Then it moved Up came the binos and it ended up being three strutting Toms side by side They had three hens pulling the lead and were headed away. Time to step out of the box, i hit the woods to my right to try and get ahead of them. if any one has ever been in strip mine woods you are feeling my pain. It is running rows of long hills and i had to go across all this mess. By the time i got to my destinatinn i was ringing wet with sweat, and breathing so hard i could barley hold the diaphram call in my mouth. The set up was perfect, i was standing up, and hidden in some small pines. I had three shooting lanes at 18 yards. after 40 minutes of nothing, i thought i had bumped them. I snuck out to the edge and seen them 60 yards out. back in and again 40 minutes of nothing, i snuck out again, now they are 50 yards out and coming at a snails pace. I accepted the fact that this was going to be a LONG wait and settled back in. After another 20 minutes something caught my eye from the other direction on the trail, its two more Toms walking towards to other three. They walk behind the brush, i draw and pop the first one when he steps into view. The shot caught him in the wing joint and he tries to fly but was going nowhere. He managed to get into the grass on the side of the trail and then his buddy started spurring him right in front of me. Then i hear more comotion and the other three run in and jumped all over him. He managed to get inside of the woodline while the four were pounding him the whole time. He expired quickly and the deed was done. I actually had to chase the birds off him sorry for the long read but i thought it was a story worthy of sharing. sorry for the horrable pic, it was set on a timer, no one was around to take the photo. 20.5 lbs 9 1/2" beard 7/8" 3/4" spurs
Old 04-30-2008, 07:21 AM

Default RE: Indiana bird down (pic) wild story

YOU LIED!! You told us you didn't get that lucky horseshoe away from hunsucker!! Seems to me that maybe you did.

Man, way to stick with that one bro. That right there was a tough hunt, but how awesome is that to close the deal on a tough hunt.......and the pic isn't that bad either, congrats buddy. That settles it, I'm hunting w/ you next spring.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well .... bloodcreek you do have way of hunting birds but you manage toget 'em and thats what matters , that is a wild story and a nice big bird .... congrats to ya bud.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:24 AM

You are on a Roll....Sounds like an awesome hunt! Congrats on another bird Dan!
Old 04-30-2008, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys Mobow, i do have a pair of his socks no horse shoe though. Thanks RD.... I have been saying sometimes you have to do things untraditional to make it work.. I will be placing the socks up for bids, who wants to place the first bid??
Old 04-30-2008, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

First off congrats on a great bird and a great story!!!! Man I could really use those socks!!! I am on my third year with bow only and nocigar yet!! Walt
Old 04-30-2008, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations Dink, awesome story and hunt. Sounds like you turkey hunt just like I was taught over 20 years ago and here I was thinking, blinds and decoys were untraditional and out side the box. [8D]
Old 04-30-2008, 07:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congratulations!!!
Old 04-30-2008, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good job and great story! Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-30-2008, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the bird! You're on a roll.

Quick Reply: Indiana bird down (pic) wild story

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.