Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How much shooting practice do you really need? >

How much shooting practice do you really need?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How much shooting practice do you really need?

Old 04-29-2008, 01:59 PM

Default How much shooting practice do you really need?

I'm asking this question because of the way i practice and how my hunting partner does. I try to shoot 2X a week around 1-2 hours each session all year (not a whole lot of shooting). Now im not a great shot but not bad either. Now there is my hunting partner. He doesn't shoot his bow.. ever.. like seriously, he only draws and shoots when its at a animal. But here is the thing, he never misses!! He hit a bull elk at 60yards this year, dead on-- bull died within 100 yards of shot. His saying is "all those idiots who shoot hours and hours a week are wasting their time, all you have to do is put the right pin on the animal and shoot."

Now, this being said.. this isn't the only time this has happened.. I have been his best friend for 6 years and he gets his deer/elk every damn year, no practice what so ever throughout the year. He doesnt even take a practice shot to see if his bow is on before we leave camp. How can this be, are we all doing something wrong by practicing? Its not only me, but our entire hunting camp cant believe this guy-- i would not just say it is luck because he bags an animal every year. What do you think?
Old 04-29-2008, 02:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How much shooting practice do you really need?

Obviously the guy just uses a bow as a means to an end........a dead animal.
Most of us also love ARCHERY.

Big difference. Lots of us could probably do the same year in and year out with modern gear but that said I certainly would trust my skills more after an offseason of fine tuning equipment and muscles and form.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I usually don't start getting serious about practicing until the middle of June or so. Bear hunting opens for me the 1st of September so I better be good and ready by then. To me there's no reason for me to be shooting year round in the winter months. Yes it's good for the muscles to keep them in tip top shape, specially the Traditional shooters but starting in June is plenty early for me. I'm not into the Archery part of shooting these bows like I'm into the hunting part of shooting these bows. I enjoy 3-D shoots but there getting to be few and far between in my neighborhood. No person can ever practice too much, sometimes though the best thing a person can do is take a little breather if things are a bit frustrating when shooting.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love to shoot but find myslef bored shooting by myself and hard to get better bymyself. I like shooting with other people that said. I do try to shoot everyday wheather it be just 10 arrows!
Old 04-29-2008, 03:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Using modern compound equipment, some guys need very little practice to be effective. Others need more.

With my longbowI shot a lot(often, not many shots at a time) in preparation for turkey season. I'm sure I will back off once its over a little bit. But I will be gearing up as summer progresses to be ready for elk in september.

Now my Ally, I'll probably shoota week or so before the GTG so I don't embarass myself, and then again start really getting serious late july also in prep for septembers elk hunt.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great post rybo.

After this past deer season in which i shot three deer with my compound, i got the trad bug. I dont think i even touched my compound since the season closed, but shoot my recurve every day. Just this last weekend i picked up the compund just for giggles and shot better groups then i could possibly imagine ever shooting with my recurve, then put it back. Shooting a compound is not easy, but certainly less difficult than the trad gear,but i could see how someone could go without a serious practice scedule and still be very proficient with it.

Of course there are a few variables with my situation. Before all this tra stuff i shot my compound as hard core as i am shooting my recurves now. Also there could just be a constant connection with archery in general, shooting every daycould help me keep aware of both types of the sport. Beats me...
Old 04-29-2008, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bigdawgwill44

Now, this being said.. this isn't the only time this has happened.. I have been his best friend for 6 years and he gets his deer/elk every damn year, no practice what so ever throughout the year. He doesnt even take a practice shot to see if his bow is on before we leave camp. How can this be, are we all doing something wrong by practicing? Its not only me, but our entire hunting camp cant believe this guy-- i would not just say it is luck because he bags an animal every year. What do you think?
do you witness every shot he takes at an animal? you say he gets one every year, but are there missed or badly hit (and animal not recovered)shots you don't know about? or does he tell you he doesn't practice, when he actually does? I don't mean to insult your friend, and he may just not need practice, but there's also the possibility of some BS here. Has he evertold you he slept with Jessica Alba?
Old 04-29-2008, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

If he doesnt shoot his bow even once other than to shoot at animals he must be the worlds greatest archer to never miss[8D].

However, I agree with him up to a point about practice. You do not need to fling 1000 arrows a week, or even 10, to be good. Its more about quality of practice. I generally shoot about 30-50 arrows a week in two sessions...I used to pitch several hundred every other day. I have noticed I can stop shooting for several months and still be spot on...but my confidence does go down a bit.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I could easily see someone pulling that off, although I'm not with himnot atleast shooting a few shots, just to make sure everything is on. You owe it to the animal.Ifeel practice is part of the fun, and part of the anticipation of the upcoming season. That's just me.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love to shoot all of my bows in my backyard range or any range for that matter, I shoot everyday, but alternate bows... very relaxing, this is just as important to me as hunting...I enjoy both archery and hunting...and some fishing too.

Quick Reply: How much shooting practice do you really need?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.