Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who travels for turkeys? >

Who travels for turkeys?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who travels for turkeys?

Old 04-25-2008, 05:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Who travels for turkeys?

The latest location thread got me to thinking. Who has to travel to hunt turkeys? The closest place I've found to hunt these birds is a 2 1/2 hour drive.
If you look at the turkey distribution map on the NWTF web site you will see a strip of ground in Texas without a turkey population. Thats where I live.
For those of you with turkeys in your backyard, or anyone for that matter. if you had to travel to hunt turkeys how far would you be willing to go? Last weekend I made a 600 mile drive to try for a Merriam. For the rest of this season I'll stick to hunting closer to home but I'll have at least a 3 hour drive including tomorrow morning. Next weekend it will be a 4 hour drive. And then next year I will very likely go out of state again, probably to Oklahoma or maybe Kansas.
I have to do this, I am compelled.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Who travels for turkeys?

Well depends, I just traveled to NC this past weekend and last year I went to KS. As far as PA, I have a couple spots that may be 15 min, 1/2 hour away but mainly I walk out my front door.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I travel 4 hours each way to my camp. I don't have to, there is 1300ish acres of public property within 5 miles of my house, but I would rather travel for better hunting and little to no pressure.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've only been hunting them for a year, and we have a so so population on my property. They've seemed to start sticking around more in the last year, however. I have a couple groups somewhat patterned this year I think, but who knows. I drive past a few pieces of land on the way to work that I would LOVE to hunt. Birds in fields every morning. So in a nutshell, no I don't travel much other than to my cabin (15 minutes away).
Old 04-25-2008, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last weekend I drove seven hours (one way) to get an evening and morning hunt in. Then, I drove the seven hours back home. I missed a shot on an eight half inch bearded merriams. I shot him for 20 and he must have been like 25-26 and on the move. I cut a bunch of his belly feathers off.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well Im a newbie! I never hunted them before and this year Im gonna give it a shot. Im gonna travel 2 hours to ROb/ pabowyers house to try my luck at hearing my 1st ever bird in the wild and trying to kill one with the bow!
Old 04-25-2008, 06:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good Luck!
Old 04-25-2008, 06:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

So far this year I have travelled 1 hour, 2 1/2 hours, and 4 1/2 hours for turkey hunts. I'll be doing the 4 1/2 hour againthis weekend. Most of my local spots don't hold birds, but I recently found out that a couple of towns up has a good population and there is a state game lands near there. So, I'll be knocking on doors and doing some scouting for next year.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks to good friends I'll only have to travel between 2 1/2 to 4hrs to hunt these evil feathered demons.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Thanks to good friends I'll only have to travel between 2 1/2 to 4hrs to hunt these evil feathered demons.

Lol, I can't wait to see the video once you finally connect. I believe there will be some dancing involved.

Quick Reply: Who travels for turkeys?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.