Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Journals/Records/Diaries >

Journals/Records/Diaries

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Journals/Records/Diaries

Old 04-21-2008, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Journals/Records/Diaries

Who all keeps a hunting journal or log? I believe that it can prove to be major asset and scouting tool.

I personally keep a journal and write in it after every hunt. I have date, time, weather (wind speed and direction, cloud cover, etc.) weapon used, stand location, how many deer i saw, where they came from, where they were goin and why they were doing both, calls used, scents used- whether they were effective or not and a short 5-6 line story and recap. of the hunt.

My family also keeps detailed records of our harvested deer. Age, body weight, antler size, stomach contents, location of harvet and time of year, obviously.

This year I started keeping a record of how much rain we get, which will help monitor our food plots and fruit trees while hopefully producing some helpful information in regards to the mast crop in the fall.

So I was just curious who else keeps a working journal, and if so what are its contents?
Old 04-21-2008, 09:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Journals/Records/Diaries

Stand location + Number of deer seen + #/does + #/bucks + #/fawns + #/bow range

I've been doing this for 2 full seasons. 2 more, or so......and I think it'll be a very valuable asset.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never done it but sounds like a good tool! I may start.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Stand location + Number of deer seen + #/does + #/bucks + #/fawns + #/bow range

I've been doing this for 2 full seasons. 2 more, or so......and I think it'll be a very valuable asset.
Jeff, do you do keep a turkey journal too?

I have a "year" round journal. From spring turkeys, to bow fishing,then on to bear, then deer, then ice fishing. I do it not only to learn, but I think it is a blast.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:47 AM
Dominant Buck

No turkey journal. I tried it........but the profanity filter deleted every other word.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I plan to start one this season. If anything, like mentioned already, it will be a great read years down the road. Or even better...if my great great great grandkids get to read it some day.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

No turkey journal. I tried it........but the profanity filter deleted every other word.
LMAO. That will happen
Old 04-21-2008, 11:23 AM

A few years back (5-6?) I would keep track of everything that I had seen, then it started to slip, until finally, I stopped, halfway through this season.

I will be starting it up again this fall, and try to stick with it again.....
Old 04-21-2008, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've done it

Date/stand/amm/#does/#bucks/ weather
Old 04-21-2008, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I started one two years ago and plan on continuing it through the indefinate future. It has location, # of deer and type of deer, date, weather conditions (cloud cover, wind speed, barametric pressure, percip.). I use excel and have been experimenting with formulas for predicting which stand to hunt for a given set of conditions based on the data from my past hunts...its the nerd in me I guess. I need a year or two more before I come to any conclusions about its accuracy but I like it so far.

Quick Reply: Journals/Records/Diaries

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.