Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 3.5yr old.....get your arrow? >

3.5yr old.....get your arrow?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

3.5yr old.....get your arrow?

Old 04-17-2008, 09:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Default 3.5yr old.....get your arrow?

I had a nice looking half-rack 2.5yr old in the woods I hunt in '06. I never got a photo of him.....but I often wonder if he's the 3.5yr old I got last year with a "funky" side....that ended up recovering nicely by the time the season rolled around. I had this deer at about 5 yds for 20 minutes, one morning (as a 2.5 yr old).

I wonder what my thought process would have been if he'd been older. I'll come clean....I only know (as well as one can) he was a 2.5yr old by things I've learned, since then (thoughI would have still guessed him at 2.5 then...based solely on rack). I ask myself, now.....what would I do if he was before me as a 3.5yr old with that same 1/2 rack?

Today.....I'd attempt to take him. With the number of sightings I get on deer that age.......I'd (IMO) be a fool not to.

Does the rack have "anything" to do with your thought process.....when you are confronted with a similar situation? We could come up with all kinds of scenarios.....but the question is simple....

Would any 3.5yr old get your arrow?
Old 04-17-2008, 09:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 3.5yr old.....get your arrow?

For the record....I "think" this is him as a 3.5yr old.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:03 AM
Dominant Buck

And his rack's "recovery"

Old 04-17-2008, 10:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

ANY 3.5.....No. But around here, probably 90% of them would be shooters to me, if not higher.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Fair enough Rybo. I've come to the conclusion, though.......that ANY 3.5yr old is worthy of my arrow.....based SOLELY on the fact that he's 3.5. I know it's a personal decision we all make.....and I respect everyone's.

At the end of the season, though.......if I could say (not that I could actually DO it year in and year out) I took a 3.5yr old buck out of my woods........"I" would be tickled.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I had a nice looking half-rack 2.5yr old in the woods I hunt in '06. I never got a photo of him.....but I often wonder if he's the 3.5yr old I got last year with a "funky" side....that ended up recovering nicely by the time the season rolled around. I had this deer at about 5 yds for 20 minutes, one morning (as a 2.5 yr old).

I wonder what my thought process would have been if he'd been older. I'll come clean....I only know (as well as one can) he was a 2.5yr old by things I've learned, since then (thoughI would have still guessed him at 2.5 then...based solely on rack). I ask myself, now.....what would I do if he was before me as a 3.5yr old with that same 1/2 rack?

Today.....I'd attempt to take him. With the number of sightings I get on deer that age.......I'd (IMO) be a fool not to.

Does the rack have "anything" to do with your thought process.....when you are confronted with a similar situation? We could come up with all kinds of scenarios.....but the question is simple....

Would any 3.5yr old get your arrow?

not sure it's that easy to tell a 3 from a 2 all the time IMO...... especially since you were judging soley by the rack ............

but to answer your question .....probably getting shot ....assuming my freezer is empty and I'm not waiting for his daddy....
Old 04-17-2008, 10:21 AM
Dominant Buck

not sure it's that easy to tell a 3 from a 2 all the time IMO...... especially since you were judging soley by the rack ............
That's why I stated I initially "aged" him (before I knew any different) that way. Today.....I think I'm a little better at it.....especially given the time of year this was ( November).

I don't have any doubts the buck in the photos is 3.5. Could he be that deer I saw in '06? Maybe. But the point I was making is......even with the "funky" early rack.....I'd take this deer, now......if presented an opportunity.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

That's why I stated I initially "aged" him (before I knew any different) that way. Today.....I think I'm a little better at it.....especially given the time of year this was ( November).

I don't have any doubts the buck in the photos is 3.5. Could he be that deer I saw in '06? Maybe. But the point I was making is......even with the "funky" early rack.....I'd take this deer, now......if presented an opportunity.
I just hope he is around for ya THIS fall .... he should be a beaut!
Old 04-17-2008, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff,
For the most part I feel that way too, but I didn't include EVERY 3.5, just because if I ran across an extremely rare/odd 6 or less point 3.5 yr old, it would be illegal to shoot. And with my expanded hunting areas & efforts, I feel that I should be able to get a chance at a normal sized 3.5 yr old buck.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nope! Just as I stated in Buckeye's thread I won't shoot a 3.5 unless he's easily a P&Y buck. Most 3.5's in my area are in that 125" to 130" range. I know there's bigger 3.5's too but I don't see them or there never close enough.

Quick Reply: 3.5yr old.....get your arrow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.