Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How much does gas effect your hobby? >

How much does gas effect your hobby?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How much does gas effect your hobby?

Old 04-15-2008, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How much does gas effect your hobby?

I notice that a lot of you hunt leases, and generally that involves some sort of travel, so I was wondering with the ever rising gas prices and the price of crude in general, how this has or will effect your hunting/scouting trips. If it hasn't really effected you, how HIGH will it take for you to start to change your traveling? For me, I drive a fairly effiecient truck (about 19-21mpg now in the warmer temps), and commute 30 miles round trip to work a day, and often another 150 miles round trip to Wilkes-Barre every other weekend, so I do feel it a bit, but I'm not sure what would take for me to change my habits...I'm already somewhat not as open to driving to random trout spots after work for a quick fishing trip like I used to in high school.

If you're wondering what spawned this question, take a look at the what crude hit today[&:]

http://money.cnn.com/2008/04/15/mark...ion=2008041515
Old 04-15-2008, 06:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How much does gas effect your hobby?

I'm trying not to let it influence my bowhunting. I'm headed to NC Thursday, I know the most expensive thing about the trip will be the gas.

The rest will be priceless.

I hunted the same as I always did this past fall. I do know gas prices are hitting a hole in my pocket. Turkey season will be more expensive than last year, I can only pray something breaks in the cost of oil. It's ridiculous and it's America fleecing Americans.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I'm trying not to let it influence my bowhunting. I'm headed to NC Thursday, I know the most expensive thing about the trip will be the gas.

The rest will be priceless.

I hunted the same as I always did this past fall. I do know gas prices are hitting a hole in my pocket. Turkey season will be more expensive than last year, I can only pray something breaks in the cost of oil. It's ridiculous and it's America fleecing Americans.
I hear ya Rob, it really comes down to what you can prioritize, and you certainly can't sit around at home doing nothing. I try to take that approach when I'm debating whether to drive somewhere whether it's to fish, up to my cabin, to see my fiance, etc. I do, however, try to cut back on extra/unecessary trips/
Old 04-15-2008, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not TOO much. It is either out my back door, or a mile down the road, which is nice. Montana every year, I go with pops and 2 other guys in our motor home, I don't think what I can chip in would amount to much[&o]

However, out of state lic. effect me the most.

And if all works out for next year, plane tickets[>:]
Old 04-15-2008, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Matt, I am lucky as I don't have to drive for my work, I work out of the U.S. and the company flies me so i use my trucks for personal use only. I haven't slowed down a bit yet, I hunt about 4 hours from my house and go every other month for a week or so. I will be leaving this Thursday to go try to get a couple hogs or exotics.
I also work in the oilfield, so I can't really complain too much but I got home last Friday and diesel is $4.00 a gallon here, i will say this I have been driving my 74 scout a bunch as gasoline is quite a bit cheaper than the diesel.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

It hasn't affected my decision to hunt yet, but it has affected my decision on vehicle though. I'd love to have a full size truck and would have probably had one by now...........but for now the Suby will have to do. It's kind of hard to give up AWD and 30mpg with gas prices these days.

4 hours each way to my camp ends up costing me roughly $55 right now (have to use 93 octane), but it wouldcost me nearly 2x as much in a full size truck. You can do the math if your traveling 4x a month (during season)........it does add up and does get expensive but I guess it's still cheaper than a lot of other hobbies.

It does affect the time I spend there during the offseason. I'd love to go to my campthis weekend to work on plots and get some firewood cut for the upcoming bonfire/camping season, but just can't justify the $$$ to drive there.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well it did not effect my hunting yet but what it did do is put a hamper on me shooting with a good freind I met on here(Rob) I wish I could afford to make the trip up north more on Sundays to shoot its just so damn tight right now! Ben I dont want to leave you out either your a hell of a guy and I love coming up to shoot!
Old 04-15-2008, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gas effects my hunting = natta~~~
The ole' joke...
I would crawl naked over broken glass for 2 miles to sit in her shadow!
Same thing for huntin'<>
Old 04-15-2008, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

It makes my Cabelas Visa bill bigger every month.

But hey, that means more points!!
Old 04-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

The gas price has pushed me to the point that next weekend I will be loading my bow and necassary gear on the back on my motorcycle so that I can go back to KS. to hunt turkeys for three days. I'll be able to do the whole trip for about $100., compared to taking my truck at nearly $300.
I'll be sure to take some pics. My buddy that I will be hunting with will have the blinds, decoys, etc. All I have to haul is my bow and arrows, a call or two, and cloths, and shave kit.

Quick Reply: How much does gas effect your hobby?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.