HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Too much shooting? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/242375-too-much-shooting.html)

Swift Arrow 04-14-2008 05:30 PM

Too much shooting?

Is shooting my bow two days a week averaging 50 shots too much? Or should I leave it hang on the wall for a while?

TEmbry 04-14-2008 05:32 PM

RE: Too much shooting?

Joke?

Many people shoot everyday. Practice makes perfect! Which may be the underlying reason behind why I am far from perfect.

BigDaddy12t 04-14-2008 05:39 PM

I have to admit that before this year, I was one of those guys that would pick up my bow 2 weeks before the season started, and start shooting. I have already shot my bow this year more in the last few months, than I ever did in the last few years. I feel so much more comfortable with my bow this year. Even shooting at short distances, it makes you feel more at one with the bow.

Swift Arrow 04-14-2008 05:40 PM

No, unfortunately not. I was just a dumb question. I just don't want to mess anything up, LOL. Going down to the basement to shoot some more. Thanks!

Rob/PA Bowyer 04-14-2008 05:41 PM

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

Many people shoot everyday. Practice makes perfect! Which may be the underlying reason behind why I am far from perfect.
Perfect practice makes perfect. Bad practice makes bad habits. There is a fine line between too much and good practice.

Sometimes a perfect practice session for me is one arrow.

Madjac20 04-14-2008 05:42 PM

How can there be a such thing as "too much shooting"? If your not practicing with good form then yes there can be "too much", but if you're getting better and learning something with every shot then no.
I shoot every chance I get. Like you I'll shoot about 50 arrows per session. I think that a 1000 arrows shot while perfecting your form will be well worth it early this fall when that 'big one' is standing broadside your stand at 20 yards. Too much shooting, I say there's not enough "good shooting".

deerhunter518 04-14-2008 06:51 PM

u need to shoot more if anything, the more the merrier

Paul L Mohr 04-15-2008 01:40 PM

I used to shoot 3 to 4 hundred arrows a day, so no I don't think your overdoing it.

Paul

craitchky 04-15-2008 01:51 PM

I shoot 5 days a week, about 50-100, depending on my time, arrows per session. I think if you shoot well a lot, you develop goodmuscle memory. So when the moment of truth comes, you can focus on that sweet spot on the deer, and not have to think about weather you are achored correctly, is my form right, etc, etc.

Deleted User 04-15-2008 01:53 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

DeerStalker80 04-16-2008 11:02 AM

I shoot daily 50-75 arrows a session and sometime if I have time i will shoot 3-4 hours a day. I love shooting its more fun to me than just another way of hunting. I slack a little right after deer season is over and the bass fishing picks up but like know the bass fishing has died down some I shoot everyday again just about come july I will shoot everyday day until season than even during season we come out at lunch and shoot our bows on the road on the property for fun not long just a few shots while we eat lunch.

gmil6184 04-16-2008 12:02 PM

I think that there is such thing as too much shooting. I know if i stand there and shoot arrow after arrow i lose my focus after awhile. Instead of keeping my form and focusing on burning the pin into the spot i want to hit, after awhile i am just mindlessly flinging arrows at the target. Also shooting that many arrows at once you might tire yourself out and your shooting will suffer. You might be better off shooting everyday but shooting ten, very deliberate, focused shots. I try to shoot as much as i can year round, but once deer season starts getting closer I might only shoot a couple arrows a day. That way i put a little pressure on myself to make a good shot, after all you are likely to only get one shot at that deer. But practice is a personal thing and do what works for you and what makes you comfortable.

kickin_buck 04-16-2008 12:16 PM

There is no problem with shooting too much. However, there is a problem with not shooting enought. I average about 500 arrows a week and that will go up to near 1000 arrows a week once the weather calms down and I can get in the back yard instead of just shooting at the shop.

virginiashadow 04-16-2008 01:45 PM

I shoot a couple of times a week during the off season......pick it up around 3 months off of hunting season to 4-5 days a week.....then maybe everyday a couple of weeks out. Seems to keep me interested in shooting and having fun.

ozbowhunter 04-16-2008 02:37 PM

i shoot everyday sometimes only a few arrows sometimes many

Swift Arrow 04-16-2008 04:24 PM

Thanks my blood brothers, I have my answer! Gonna have to get more arrows because I will be trying my hand at 3-D tourneys soon. Also, my son is going to start shooting his bow later this month for the first time and I'll have him practicing through out the summer on in to fall. Right now he's pulling 30 but very easily. I just want him to get comfortable until this fall when I max it out past 40 if he can pull that much. I'm very serious about getting him a deer before I do, that would be awesome! Then he can say, Ha ha dad I got one before you did! lol Heck, might as well take him 3-D'ing with me so we both can lose arrows.

Swift Arrow 04-16-2008 04:25 PM

ORIGINAL: DeerStalker80

I shoot daily 50-75 arrows a session and sometime if I have time i will shoot 3-4 hours a day. I love shooting its more fun to me than just another way of hunting. I slack a little right after deer season is over and the bass fishing picks up but like know the bass fishing has died down some I shoot everyday again just about come july I will shoot everyday day until season than even during season we come out at lunch and shoot our bows on the road on the property for fun not long just a few shots while we eat lunch.
Yep, fishing is a whole lotta fun too! Time to get a small boat and go camping. I know that we all think hunting 24 x 7 but sometimes it's nice to take a break, lol.

live2Draw 04-16-2008 04:29 PM

I think that it is important to vary distance, Angle and other factors of practice.
I can shoot a bag at 25 yards and and break arrows all day long, but it doesnt do anything for my overall ability, except lock my form.
I usually shoot 10 times on my first two pins then take a stroll around the target, stop at random distances and angles and shoot.
I also shoot from my roof, between the crotches of trees and through holes in set up cover.
I want to make sure that when the time comes, I know exactly what is going to happen
I usually shoot some "stay warm arrows" 10 a day maybe, at a standard length, just to keep fresh.
I do a serious practice a coupla times a week.

salukipv1 04-16-2008 04:47 PM

Everyone seems to have different philosophies, I wouldn't worry about shooting too much though, haha.

Personally I tend to shoot 20-30arrows, at a time, I should shoot more often but I don't I think if you shot 2-3x a week 20-30 arrows per session, you'd be doing great.

Also focus on quality shots.....don't just shoot to shoot, make em count! shooting too often, or past the point of becoming tired, will only reinforce bad technique....something nobody wants to do!

So if you feel yourself getting tired, shaky, etc....stop also a day to rest isn't a bad thing either, let those muscles recover, you should be able to know your own body.....just be smart about your shooting.

Also you may want to hold the bow at full draw for 30sec.....working up to 45 or 60secs......different muscle groups/fibers etc...... build up that endurance, just my point, be smart about what you're doing, know what you're doing and why you're doing it, and I think you'll be pretty awesome with a bow in no time.

in da woods 04-16-2008 08:13 PM

practice for perfection, & confidence.

drockw 04-16-2008 08:39 PM

i got my new bow about 6weeks ago and since ive probably shot 1500-2000 times. after about the third week of shooting non-stop i noticed my bow arm, shoulder was starting to stay sore. i noticed at work that it was tender so i knew that was too much. my drawing arm and shoulder is fine but my bow shoulder was starting to get wore out. i gave it a little break for two days. shot a little less and now its fine and i can shoot plenty w/out it hurting anymore. other than that, when you start shooting badly adn get frustrated or down on yourself, sit it down and give it a break. youll just make it worse and get in a rut.

Paul L Mohr 04-17-2008 01:56 PM

There actually is a point where you can shoot too much, you just can't put a number on it is all. You have to shoot within your comfort zone, if 50 arrows is it then that is it.

What you don't want to do is over shoot and get tired and frustrated. Many people make this mistake, they start shooting bad and get frustrated. However they keep shooting hoping they will get better, or they don't want to stop on a bad group or something. I used to be really guilty of this. The best thing to do is if you start shooting bad and are tired or are having problems just put the bow down for a while and walk away or stop for the day. You will often find that when you come back later you will shoot better. Shooting less arrows at a time helps as well. Instead of shooting 5 arrows at a time and going to get them, shoot three instead. And rest a little bit between shots. This helps you stay more relaxed and focused.

I used to shoot that much because I could just walk out my back door and shoot anytime I wanted, stop for a little while and then go back out if I wanted. And I worked my way up to it. Now that I live where I can't shoot I don't shoot nearly as much.

Paul