Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 spot hogg users please help me out here! >

spot hogg users please help me out here!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

spot hogg users please help me out here!

Old 04-14-2008, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default spot hogg users please help me out here!

I am getting a new bow and I need to get a sight for it and I have been looking into the spot hogg sights for it and I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what you like about yours or what you don't like about it.

Thanks
John
Old 04-14-2008, 01:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: spot hogg users please help me out here!

John, I have used, sold, and installed most every model Spot Hogg makes. I prefer the Hunter Hogg It, but they are all solid sights. It depends on what features you are looking for. The new Hogg wraps are definitely worth the money.

Dan
Old 04-14-2008, 02:01 PM
Dominant Buck

I have no experience with the new Hogg wraps....but the low light capabilites (or lack, thereof) made me sell my Hunter Hogg it and replace it with what I feel is a better all-around sight.

I hope they're brighter than they used to be.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

IMO there is nothing better quality wise, feature wise and for ease of adjustment than the Spot-Hogg sights.
The only knock in the past was what Jeff mentioned about low light capabilities........unless you just lengthened the fibers on your own they were lacking in that department.
I actually like my "Real Deal" model with the short fibers because I have easy access to the fiber slots. I can simply lengthen the single top pin to make it stand out against the rest when the light fades. 9 time out of 10 that's the only pin you should be using anyway so it makes sense to only brighten that one (and CENTER IT)

The new Wrap fiber models completely eliminate that low light shortcoming though. In fact the new .010 wrap style is plenty bright as a hunting sight on it's own even with the tiny pins (except the reds are all but invisible)

If I was ordering a new hunting sight tomorrow it would 100% be a Spot-Hogg "Hogg-It hunter" withone of 2wrap pin styles:
1) Top Pin would be .029 wrap green and the remaining 4 would be .010 wrap yellow,green,yellow,green color pattern
2) All pins would be .029 wrap with a Green,Yellow,Red,Yellow,Red color pattern

Viper and Sword and a few other quality brandshave their following but those sights don't appeal to me at all after using Spot-Hoggs.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a Spot-Hogg Hogg-It. This is a great sight in my opinion. I did have a problem with it in low light. I put on longer aftermarket fibers and resolved the dim pin problem. I was then worried about the fibers being too exposed to brush while in the woods so I put on a factory pin wrap and a Tru-Glo LED light. Problems are gone. I had to play around with it to get it set up like this but it was time and money well spent. I can't imagine selling this sight with the bow next time I do an upgrade. This one is a keeper.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:55 PM

I will Second what Tx said. I have the Hogg-it with the wrap and love how bright it is. I am looking for a light to use on it for hunting hogs at night and turkeys from the ground blind.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Right-On Wrap (5-pin .019) and I use the Rheostat light that Tru-Glo makes... I only ever need just the very dimmest setting. Bought the light for use inside the ground blind, but have found it useful on cloudy/raining days too where light fades faster and stays that dark blue color for a while.

I have nothing bad to say about the sight at all. The price is higher than some, but in the greater scheme of things is not that terrible.

The wrapped one is the only one I've ever owned... I wouldn't have spent the money on one that wasn't wrapped.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have two Hunter Hogg Its and think they are great. The low light part doesn't bother me much at all. I have practiced in low light and just put the pin on the target. It doesn't need to glow, I just aim with the dot where it needs to be. As Matt/Pa pointed out, in low light the farthest I would be shooting is my first pin and that is 17-18 yards max and I can aim even with a "dark" dot that far out.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

so they are not as bright as you guys had hoped they would be?

I like my tru glo true sight Extreme right know because it is so bright and the fibers are really strong cause I have not broke any of them the whole time I have had it but I was looking for a new sight for my new bow but mabye I will just go with another Tru Glo cause they are so much cheaper!

Thanks again guys I may need more advice soon after I get my bow.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HOGHUNTINGUNLIMITED

so they are not as bright as you guys had hoped they would be?

I like my tru glo true sight Extreme right know because it is so bright and the fibers are really strong cause I have not broke any of them the whole time I have had it but I was looking for a new sight for my new bow but mabye I will just go with another Tru Glo cause they are so much cheaper!

Thanks again guys I may need more advice soon after I get my bow.
A lot more to a good sight than brightness or price

Dan

Quick Reply: spot hogg users please help me out here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.