Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Could you?

Old 04-14-2008, 07:31 PM

Default RE: Could you?

BTW, what do yall think about my quote?? Is he serious??
Old 04-14-2008, 09:41 PM

I have been tempted by Alaska for the last 12 years, ever since myparents moved there. My Sister and Bro-in-law live there near them outside of Wasilla (Anchorage). I have come to the conclusion that Alaska is a great place to visit for a hunt, but I don't want to live there. Fortunately for me with family there who hunt, I don't have to hire a guide for game like grizzly, moose, sheep or goats.

Giving up whitetails is no big deal, since I am more of a novice whitetail hunter. But, I'd have to give up them, mule deer, and my favorite..Elk...so no way

One thing my father told me that is different up in AK than in the lower 48 is how you have to hunt there. Back here it is usually just jump in the truck, drive a little bit (stopping off at the 7-11 for some munchies on the way), and then hit your hunting haunt...oops...forgot something...run back home real quick and get it.
Up there most hunts are expeditions.There are no easy access roads. Usually you have to boat, fly, snow-mobile,trek, drive for hours, etc. just to get to your destination and pray you didn't forget anything.

For those with a sense of adventure and the money and time to pull it off, then AK offerssome fantastic opertunities. I personally can't wait until my next north slope caribou bow hunt, moose hunt with my dad, grizzly with my bro-in-law, and all the salmon & halibut I can fly home.

Oh, one other point about AK. My family says they welcome the dark of winter, because after a summer of light when the sun goes down for maybe an hour or two, theyhave runthemselves ragged and need the time to catch up on sleep. They say it is harder to get used to the light of summer than the dark of winter.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:43 PM

I did! Give up whitetail hunting to move to AK that is. Up until a year ago I was living a very good life hunting whitetail, mulies, elk, and turkey all fall and into the winter. Then a dream job opportunity came open and before I knew it my wife and I were packing our bags for Alaska. Moose have always been a critter I dreamed of hunting, now I have my chance. I did not hunt at all as a nonresident last fall, that was very hard to take. But I've spent the past year learning as much as I can and in a couple weeks I'll get my resident license. I can't wait! Something that is very different about Alaska is the access to all that remote wilderness. Best way to sum it up: it ain't cheap to get into some of that country. For example, I'm looking at driving 8 hours one way just to get to my air charter who'll fly me in 2 hours just so I can get to my starting point. When I was hunting in the lower 48, I was hunting within 10 minutes of walking out the door. It is a different ballgame up here. But when I return to the lower 48 someday, I'll bring back some wonderful memories of adventures I could never pull off anywhere else.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:11 AM

Where in the state are you acgator?
Old 04-15-2008, 02:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

You're crazy Vabowman!

You say you're addicted to whitetails, though I would suspect in Alaska you'd become addicted to everything else!

Moose, Brown bear, sheep, bison, elk, caribou, black bear, wolf, sitka blacktail deer,

Everything is fun to hunt.....out east here we tend to only have 1 big game animal to go for, maybe that makes the addiction worse....but really if you have the change to live in alaska.....and hunt what did I list? 7 different big game species? in 1 year!? and often......as an AK resident you wouldnt have to wait to draw tags etc....even as a non res I think the lotteries are great.....since more animals than hunters......

and cmon a 2000lb deer(ie moose) vs. a 300 lbd deer? 70" antlers weighing maybe 50lbs alone! vs. a whitetail? c'mon, if you really believe you couldnt go without whitetails while you lived in alaska, then there is seriously someting wrong with you. You should seek medical care for that.

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

Could you give up whitetail hunting to move to Alaska to hunteverything they have with a bow?? I couldn't because I have an addiction to whitetails and have for 20 yrs, but it would be very tempting simply just for the views and thevastwilderness, I ve never been there, hell, I ain't never been above the Mason Dixon Line and Im 33 yrs old almost, chances are, at this rate, I'll never see Alaska! Hey, Kodiak Archer, give us some pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-15-2008, 03:18 PM

Salukipv1, Im sure it would be great to hunt those animals, but I just don't have that much interest in it. Im sure it's b/c I ve never done it, can't have too much interest in it if I can't experience it I guess. I would love to hunt there just to experience all the sights, but whitetails have my soul man, no other animal does it for me.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man thats a tuff one! But I think I would go to Alaska!! Someday before I go to the Great Bowhunter in the sky I hope to see Alaska. God Willing
Old 04-15-2008, 07:29 PM

yeah i coukld
Old 04-16-2008, 12:13 AM

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

Where in the state are you acgator?
I'm in Anchorage, unfortunately. I'm still getting use to life in the city but I make the most of it. I'd much rather live in Seward or maybe Homer (during the non-tourist season) but Anchorage is alot closer to Alaska than the lower 48

Old 04-16-2008, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator

Pfft, I could give up deer for Alaskan critters any day. But how's the bowfishing up there???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.