Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 UUHH.. Need Help Understanding This!! >

UUHH.. Need Help Understanding This!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

UUHH.. Need Help Understanding This!!

Old 04-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default UUHH.. Need Help Understanding This!!

Ok i need help understanding this. When i shoot a 20 yard my arrows penetrate less then at 30 yard and at 30 yards penetrate even less then at 40! I was shooting at a bale today and at 20 yards about 4-5 inches stick out of the bale, at 30 my vanes are halfway into the bale, and a 40 my arrows are fully inside the bale about 1-2 inches!
Old 04-09-2008, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: UUHH.. Need Help Understanding This!!

Momentum ?
Old 04-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Initial idea is your bow is WAY out of tune....the shaft straitens itself in flight. I have seen the difference from 5 to maybe 15 yards, but not out to 30 yards before.

Doesnt mean your bow is out of tune itself...maybe you are really getting bad releases...?
Old 04-09-2008, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well my bow is paper tuned but i haven't been able to walk back tune or anything like that yet since it was too cold. I will try to tune it and see what happens! Thanks!
Old 04-09-2008, 08:31 PM

has to be poor flight, as the arrow straightens out over distance, the penetration increases.

physically impossible to be anything else, unless you have little rocket blasters in your nocks
Old 04-09-2008, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: archerj

has to be poor flight, as the arrow straightens out over distance, the penetration increases.

physically impossible to be anything else, unless you have little rocket blasters in your nocks
There. He said it better than I did. Maybe you have a bit of target panic or maybe the bow is out of tune....the arrow is not traveling strait when it leaves the bow.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think a have a bit a of both.[:-] I know i have target panic I am working on that. i will tune my bow and see how it goes from there!
Old 04-10-2008, 06:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

KE
Old 04-10-2008, 07:44 AM

I'm going to take a guess at a combination of two things. One the resistance of the target is greater at the closer distance causing your arrow to flex more on impact and reducing penetration. This is a long shot in my opinion though. The other would be the orientation of the medium you are shooting into. As the distance increases the angle of the trajectory also increases meaning that the arrow is hitting the target at a different angle. It could just be that the increased angle allows better penetration in your particular target.

It's not Ke or momentum because both decrease as distance increases so it's physically impossible for an arrow to have more of either at a longer distance.

I think what you are seeing is a freak thing and for sure not the norm. It is going to boil down to the medium in which you are shooting into I think.

I don't know that it's your tune either because the arrow should be pretty straight by the time it hits 20 yards.

Paul
Old 04-10-2008, 08:41 AM
Fork Horn

Do a search on resistance force. The faster an arrow is moving the more resistance it creates. Assuming you are shootingan arrow with decent mass I am willing to guess that the momentum is still holding at the farther distance while the resistance force is dropping.

Just a guess

Rogue

Quick Reply: UUHH.. Need Help Understanding This!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.