Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 help with school pleaseeee >

help with school pleaseeee

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

help with school pleaseeee

Old 04-08-2008, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default help with school pleaseeee

Ok, well next semester in the fall I may be doing an independent study within out department. In an independent study we have to propose a topic that we went to research and experiment with or write a paper on through out the semester. Being in the environmental science department, I obviously want to somehow relate my topic to deer and deer behavior. Giving that wildlife ecology and biology tend to overlap, I was wondering if you all could recommend some things that I could research for a semester long paper. Seeing as how it has to be a semester long, something as simple as "deer behavior during the rut" isn't going to cut it. I'll need something that hasn't been researched much or is new to the field.

Again, any and all suggestions are welcome. Perhaps if there's something you'd like to know post it as well and that could be tied into the paper.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: help with school pleaseeee

How about the economic impact of overpopulation of deer? Crop depredation, automobile collisions, insurance costs, medical costs?

or

The economic impact of QDM strategies and herd reduction? Does harvesting less deer actually affect local economies through loss of interest by hunters, local expenditures like lodges, restuarants, gasoline?
or

The ever increasing cost of gasoline and its eventual effect on hunter participation.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I read a statistic recently that saidcrop depredation would increase each American's food bill$500per year if hunting ceased. This would be an interesting topic to explore. The most difficult task will be to select a topic that is confined enough. 'Deer behavior during the rut' can (and has) occupied legions of scientists doing decades of research.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

How about the economic effect that the QDM craze has had on small midwestern towns. Being from Illinois, I can tell you there are towns that get majority of their revenue from out-of-state hunters. They use hotels, gas, food, not to mention the outfitters fees they are paying as well as the lease prices the outfitters are paying to local farmers for hunting rights to their land. I think this is an aspect that many people over look when they think about the good that hunting provides.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Something that might be interesting would be the effect that the deer ruthas on various predators' behaviors, if any. Or perhaps the effects of a harsh winter killing deer maybe actually benefits predators? Something along those lines would interest me anyway.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: huntingson

Something that might be interesting would be the effect that the deer ruthas on various predators' behaviors, if any. Or perhaps the effects of a harsh winter killing deer maybe actually benefits predators? Something along those lines would interest me anyway.
This would be very interesting!

In fact, thanks. I have a paper coming up soon
Old 04-09-2008, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Is it legal to "bait" where you are?

How about the impact of baiting deer. The changes in patterns pre-bait, during and post baiting. Typical sightings before and after the bait site is established.

The age structure of the deer who frequent that bait and the long term efffects (doe, frequent the site) pre-rut and how that changes Buck's chasing patterns as the rut approaches.

How many rubs, scrapes are in the area from previous years vs the baited year.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:32 AM

Here's a few that I've always wanted to know. I'm not a biologist or ecologist, so laugh at these questions if you want to. Here they are:

"Buck rubs and their effects on tree development."
"The size of deer tracks in proportion to the size of deer."
"A pooping deer...why do they always pinch off twice?"

ok...and I'm done with that
Old 04-09-2008, 12:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Economic impact of African big game hunting, and its impact on squelching deforestation and poaching in areas replete with wildlife.
[ul][*]Provide pricing information for prospective nonresident hunters attempting to hunt various african big game species. Project that data to estimate the gdp generated by traveling big game enthusiasts.[*]Use examples, like Safari Club International, to expound upon how money collected from North American members directly translates into conservation dollars that are put to use in the African bush.[*]Demonstrate how that cash inflow has resulted in decreased deforestation in areas rich in wildlife[*]Show how the potential to "sell" an animal to a nonresident hunter has impacted poaching at the grassroots level, i.e. - people policing themselves to curb poaching[/ul]
Old 04-09-2008, 12:27 PM

Come out west...

I am interested in an independant study on why mule deer populations are depleting in the North Western states. Be nice to see if the report differs from the oneFish & Game puts out.

Quick Reply: help with school pleaseeee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.