Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What rangefinder do you have for bowhunting? >

What rangefinder do you have for bowhunting?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Bushnell
51.85%
Nikon
40.74%
Leupold
0%
Swarovski
0%
Brunton
0%
Cabelas
0%
Leica
7.41%
Other
0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

What rangefinder do you have for bowhunting?

Old 04-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What rangefinder do you have for bowhunting?

What rangefinder do you have or want to get for archery and why?
I have owned three rangefinders. A 11 year old bushnell 400 which I still own and it still works good. Only draw backs are it is big and heavy and does't range out beyond 300 yards. I keep it for my kids and if a buddy want to borrow a rangefinder.I also have a Leica CRFRangemaster 1200 which works awesome for long range rifle hunting, but its too nice to usewhen archery hunting. lol I admit I am hard onmy equipent when chasing elk with a bow in hand. So foreveryday archery hunting I am not sure what to get. I had a bushnell Trophy that worked ok to good, butthis past year it broke. So Iam looking to replace it but I don'tknow what to get, what do you guys recomend for archery only. I do like the new systems out there that figure in thesteep angles to help you aim. In the mountainshere in the west I bet that could help out big time.Right nowI can get a very good deal on aleupold rangefinder withthe built in balistic aming system.Does anyone here use them, or is the bushnell a better system?Gratefull for any and all replys. Thanks

P.S. For archery I don't shoot farther than 50 yards max no matter the game I am hunting. But when stalking I like to range out in front of me. Example this last year I ranged a bull about 400 yards below me, I saw a well used elk trail that I could sneek down to him and his herd, thenI ranged a big tree next to thetrailthat was about80 yards above the herd of elk. I knew that I had to get to that big tree before I would try calling them in closer. So even though I will never shoot beyond 50 yards its nice to have a rangefinder be able to range out to 500 yards or so when bowhunting.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What rangefinder do you have for bowhunting?

I am still using a bushnell about 9 years old and it is just as big as my binoc's..
Old 04-06-2008, 12:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

bump
Old 04-06-2008, 12:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: early in

Nikon 440. It was a gift.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

[quote]ORIGINAL: early in

bump
Old 04-06-2008, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nikon 440 it works well for me i don't need to rage further than that
Old 04-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use a Nikon 440, it started acting up at the end of this past season. I have to send it in for repairs, not to happy about Nikon customer service but what can you do, except pay for the repair or go with out. If they can't fix i won't buy another one. I'm rough on my gear as well![:@]
Old 04-06-2008, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the past I haven't done much long range hunting, so to buy an expensive rangefinder wasn't very feasible for me to use.
However, last season my wife sent me on a Texas hunt where ranging was neccessary (4oo yards), plus I could use it in NH for my regular hunting.
Meaning bow hunting... In the past I just paced off my 20-25 yard shot and that has worked fine,
but now I'm comfortable and accurate enough to shoot further and the drop of my arrow for the longer distances needs to be accurate.

I went with the Nikon 440, I can't remember the exact price but was between $150-200. This price range is cheap enough to own one!
Old 04-06-2008, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a bushnell scout. It was my Highschool graduation present from my grandfather. It has done everything i have asked of it i have ranged groundhogs out to 450 yards. It has one handed use and is small and light.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:41 PM

I have a Lieca LRF that works very well for rifle hunting, but doesn't give accurate readings at bow range. It reads low by about two or three yards. Several other people I know havehad the same problem with this rangefinder.

Upon the advice of about the most sage archery elk hunting guide in this area, I ordered a Bushnell Scout last week. It should be here tomorrow.

Quick Reply: What rangefinder do you have for bowhunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.