Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Newbie question on expandables >

Newbie question on expandables

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Newbie question on expandables

Old 04-06-2008, 10:56 AM
Typical Buck

Default Newbie question on expandables

I shot my first deer with a bow last year. Although it was a great shot (18 yards) and quick recovery (50 yards), I was not pleased with the overall performance of my expandable broad head. I used the inexpensive shockwave expandable (picture below). It shoots exactly like my field point which is why I selected it to hunt with. The arrow achieved a full pass through (dbl lung) but the blood trail was minimal. I'm hearing great things about RAGE, but will they shoot exaxtly like my field point?

Shockwave (with a little red clay)

Old 04-06-2008, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Newbie question on expandables

The Bloodtrail all depends on the hit. I've had a deer go 50 yds which left no blood till it's last 2 steps.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Look at these Vortex, I have been shooting them for 10 years. Last year I shot 3 deer only one of them got out of my sight and he wen't about 45 yards.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:20 PM
Dominant Buck

will they shoot exaxtly like my field point?
Mine do.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

So many factors go into whether a blood trail is a good one that you cannot make a decision based on a sigle deer. I don't feel there is a head out there that can absolutely guarantee an awesome blood trail on every shot.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

So many factors go into whether a blood trail is a good one that you cannot make a decision based on a sigle deer. I don't feel there is a head out there that can absolutely guarantee an awesome blood trail on every shot.
Best answer I've seen on a broadhead thread!!!
Old 04-06-2008, 02:57 PM

Check out Slick Tricks, they fly like practice points, are not mecanical, have four blades made of soligen stainless steel, and did i mention they arent mechanicals? These puppies will blow a hole right through that looks like a 20 guage slug wound.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

X3 I have had some awesome Blood Trails from some of the smallest heads I have shot. I want something that flies great, super tough, and israzor sharp

Dan
Old 04-06-2008, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: centurion

Check out Slick Tricks, they fly like practice points, are not mecanical, have four blades made of soligen stainless steel, and did i mention they arent mechanicals? These puppies will blow a hole right through that looks like a 20 guage slug wound.
For those wanting to do maximum damage with a solid, fixed blade broadhead, the NewGrizzTrick should be Awesome!!

Dan
Old 04-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

MeanV, Schultzy, and Rybo have it right, don't base a change on one deer. There are many guys that swear by those Shockwaves and have great bloodtrails. Id give those another chance before dropping $40 on Rages (and I'm a Rage user).

Quick Reply: Newbie question on expandables

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.