Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Cost of the hunt >

Cost of the hunt

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cost of the hunt

Old 04-04-2008, 08:06 PM

Default Cost of the hunt

My buddy andI were talking about a recent hunting trip he took on public land in Southern Illinois. I was amazed at the cost of his trip. He was getting ready to do it for turkeys this spring as well. Including his scouting trip,he figures on 7 days of motels, food and additional fuel traveling from motel to hunt area. He figured he'll have $700 wrapped into it for a public land hunt. I asked him at what point does the cost of an outfitted hunt becomes a better bargain. I see alot of private ground hunts with food and lodging for less on ebay. What do you all think? Would a good 3 day outfitted hunt be better for the same money?
Old 04-04-2008, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cost of the hunt

That depends entirely on what the objective of your hunt is....

If you just want to kill turkeys with minimal effort, while in usually decent but not motel 6 accomadations with often great homecooked food.... than an outfitter is the way to go.

If you want to go on an adventure, and earn a bird the old fashion way... then Motel 6 and 7 days of hunting new public ground gives you more memories and ultimately more satisfaction. I guess you could call this "The Barta Way".

Just depends really... hunting is all what you make of it.... personally... when you look at the big figure... I'm not traveling anywhere to hunt public land that isn't way out west... where pretty much everything is public. I'd rather eat homecooked meals and benefit from the knowledge of an outfitter on a piece of land than fight the retards that turkey hunt most public land in my part of the world.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cost of the hunt

ORIGINAL: ihunt1975

I see alot of private ground hunts with food and lodging for less on ebay. What do you all think?
Buyer beware on those types of hunts. I've read/heard of some real horror stories on those ebay (and other) 'bargin' hunts... Even those hunts, your going to have gas and potentialy some food expenses, so a person is still paying more to go on the hunt than just the outfitter fee.

Ideally, a couple of guys would go together and divide the cost, which would make the trip a lot more affordable... But I hear ya, even the DIY hunts are getting expensive!!