Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadhead ?

Old 04-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Broadhead ?

Why does everyone not shoot COC broadheads? Please explain.

LT
Old 04-04-2008, 11:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Broadhead ?

Because they don't (to my knowledge) make one as big as the one I shoot......with the same flight characteristics I demand.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Because I don'tHAVE to.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:34 AM

Because mechanicals are safer (no exposed blades) to travel with in a bow case with the rest of my gear.

Because replaceable blades are more convenient than sharpening if you don't know how to sharpen or have the proper tools.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

For all practical purposes though, wouldn't they give better penetration?
Old 04-04-2008, 11:37 AM

Better? Yes, but how much more do you need on a deer?
Old 04-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you consider 6" into the dirt better than 5.5" then yes, probably.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not that I need more penetration Kodiak. I use the Slick Tricks with success. I have just heard from others that a COC head gives better penetration. If it's better, why not shoot it? That's all I'm asking. Good point though.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

i might make the switch...thinking either montec, stingers, or snuffers of maybe one of the new slick tricks...(they do have a new COC) for next season...i know i dont NEED something tougher than a muzzy...the thin blades and alumanum ferrule kinda has me worried...takes ALOT to bust em...and i know that...only one i broke i shot into a shouvle lol...but it looked like it was tied to a stick of dynamite...it was ugly..could tell the blades and alumanum ferrule were the weak links..bone on a deer? nah shouldnt be an issue....but i think i want bigger, thicker, tougher heads...and sharper...(leather strope on a nice thick head...i'll use them to shave!)

i just know its gunna take some work to get a head the size of a 125gr stinger or snuffer to fly...i didnt get to look at montecs real close but they looked a little thin to me...might goto slick tricks..or their COC they are coming out with...believe STs have thicker blades and steel ferrules...

i want something thats gunna blow a very very deadly hole, bust the bone if its in its path, and when i smack the rock on the pass through, my head doesnt completely crumble like it was plastic...yes, i know...im shooting a 150lb deer....maybe i have "magnumitus" in the bowhunting/broadhead world lol...if/when i buy a new bow...it might be one of the screaming fast ones....shooting a 500+gr arrow that will pack more KE than some deer rifles! just like to have it..lol...
Old 04-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: LouisianaTomkat

For all practical purposes though, wouldn't they give better penetration?
In the vast majority of cases yes a cut on contact head will give you the best penetration. However, penetration is only one factor in killing an animal. You want good penetration coupled with maximum tissue damage. Good penetration cutting less tissue doesn't do much good.

With the speed and efficiency of today's bows it is hard to argue that you can't get good penetration with most of the modern broadheads out of a well tuned bow. So, you want to make sure you get maximum tissue damage with that penetration which usually means a wider cut and/or more blades. Since most COC heads are longer in the ferrule that means more to steer the arrow off course. This is why I don't shoot them. I like as big of a cut as I can get out of my set up.

Quick Reply: Broadhead ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.