Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 oldest bow hunter >

oldest bow hunter

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

oldest bow hunter

Old 04-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default oldest bow hunter

I'm buying a new bow but have been waiting for my latest doctors visit and there clearence. I'll be 44 this month, assuming nothing else goes wrong with me, how many more years do I have left to pull on the bow. Any of you old farts want to chime in?
Old 04-03-2008, 11:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: oldest bow hunter

My uncle shoots a 55 lb bow ..this week he won the SeniorClassrd of Vegas 600 at Falcon Archery (South of Pitts Pa)in a tourneywith a 568. He is 74 years old.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:21 AM

There are a number of bowhunters my age (56) in this area. Most of us are shooting 60 lb. bows. There is one gentleman that I believe is in his early 70's that still bow hunts. Went to Africa recently with his 45 lb. bow, and killed a bunch of plains game.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dad hunts with a bow..but he's young just turned 72 50-60 hoyt
Old 04-03-2008, 11:40 AM

You're making me feel old rusty. Im only a few years younger than you but im nowhere close to hanging it up. In Virginia, we get to kill alot more deer than most states. I like to hunt solo...so I killed and dragged out over 10 deer this year all by my lonesome. Hopefully I'll die dragging a nice buck!
Old 04-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its none of your beeswax you snotty nose little brat how old I am but this past bowseason I averaged 12 to 18 miles a day for weeks where nothing is flat. If you young whipper snappers try to keep pace with me your dang tongue will be hanging out of your mouth. I took aguy 15 years younger than melast year and he is a black belt and a health nut and he didn't evenlast it a week.
I don't think age has a thing to do with it but how phsyically fit you are is the most important.

Bobby
Old 04-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: cordwood

You're making me feel old rusty. Im only a few years younger than you but im nowhere close to hanging it up. In Virginia, we get to kill alot more deer than most states. I like to hunt solo...so I killed and dragged out over 10 deer this year all by my lonesome. Hopefully I'll die dragging a nice buck!
I don't feel old, just some high BP. Wanted to make sure I have a few years left for the new bow. Unlike some of you, my last bow is now 15 yrs old. Hope to go another 15 with the new one, but shoulders do go out sooner or later.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

with some of todays bows and technologies, id bet the age bowhunters can draw a bow capable of killing game very efficiently has gone way up...higher letoffs, better speed and energy, and everything else...can easily drop a bow to 50lbs and use a good cut on contact head and see many years of shooting...

a 50lb bow with a 75% let off is only a 12.5lb holding weight at full draw...thats really not bad at all...and you can get 85% letoffs on some bows...

unless you have shoulder or health issues that limit your hunting period, id say we can all expect to beable to draw a bow for a long while so long as the rest of our bodies hold up....

and i dont care what anyone says...if im too old to draw back a bow, i WILL be in the stand with a crossbow! sure i can always find someone to help me drag...or get me a quad or UTV and a chain or rope...where theres a will, theres a way!
Old 04-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh I hate this post! I just got started 5 years ago when i was 45!
Old 04-03-2008, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dang man just get that thing and start enjoying it.

A shoulder can go anytime if you don't take care of it. 44 or 22 it don't matter. Exercise some and east right and have fun flinging arrows. The main thing is taking care and not over wieghting yourself and you should be fine.

At 44 you should have many years of bowhunting ahead.

Quick Reply: oldest bow hunter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.