Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Did he live or die? >

Did he live or die?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Did he live or die?

Old 04-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Did he live or die?

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

I think Rob would be the expert on this one.... I'm sure he'll chime in. If he lived he'll be on Rob's wall soon enough!
That took longer to appear than I thought
Old 04-03-2008, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

I think Rob would be the expert on this one.... I'm sure he'll chime in. If he lived he'll be on Rob's wall soon enough!

I would be inclined to say he is dead, but I shot a buck a bunch of years ago whose beam came down around his jaw line. When I cut his skull I found that his skull had been broken, with a bigger piece that what is on the antler Magicman posted, then it twisted downward and healed that way. It looked like it had been healed for quite some time by the amount of bone growth and it was an older deer. He is the only true mature deer I've shot and we estimate him at 4.5 + years old.
I saw one like that. His main beam ended right in front of his nose. He was a young buck but I would have shot him because of his rack. Some how he managed to get within a few feet of my tree and walked away without presenting me a good shot.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Fork Horn

my wife is part of a neurosurgery team. they see humans with small parts of their skull missing pretty frequently. many of these people die despite being in the care of neurosurgeons, living inside instead of out in the snow, not being stalked by opportunistic predators that spot weaknesses like head trauma pretty well, and a whole lot of other things that make life as a deer harder. I would guess its pretty dead. Cool find.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hear Crystal Meth makes antlers rot off their heads???