HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   how does weather affect turkeys (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/240563-how-does-weather-affect-turkeys.html)

Brknarrow1970 04-03-2008 07:03 AM

how does weather affect turkeys

What is typical good weather for turkeys and what would be considered bad weather

Rick James 04-03-2008 07:33 AM

RE: how does weather affect turkeys

Well I'm far from an expert, but I have killed about 15 of them in the last 12 years or so and called in probably another 15 for others. From what I've seen, there really isn't any "bad" weather for turkeys. If it's raining, I'll setup a blind and decoy spread and stay dry and have killed a few this way. They seem to head to the fields when its raining/snowing, or so windy enough that their eyes/ears aren't able to detect danger in the timber.

The only thing I've seen that really affects behaviour other than heading to open places like this is fog/rain/cloudy days seem to make them come off the roost later.

PreacherTony 04-03-2008 07:39 AM

ORIGINAL: Rick James

Well I'm far from an expert, but I have killed about 15 of them in the last 12 years or so and called in probably another 15 for others. From what I've seen, there really isn't any "bad" weather for turkeys. If it's raining, I'll setup a blind and decoy spread and stay dry and have killed a few this way. They seem to head to the fields when its raining/snowing, or so windy enough that their eyes/ears aren't able to detect danger in the timber.

The only thing I've seen that really affects behaviour other than heading to open places like this is fog/rain/cloudy days seem to make them come off the roost later.
100% agree ... I love those rainy days for turkey

npockat32 04-03-2008 07:54 AM

ORIGINAL: Rick James

Very well stated. I also notice just right after it rains they really hit the fields to dry off their feathers.

Brknarrow1970 04-03-2008 07:55 AM

Thanks Rick, covered everything and appreciate the feedback

Brknarrow1970 04-03-2008 07:56 AM

oops I meant Matt[&:]

RDHunter 04-03-2008 07:58 AM

Really have to agree with the others on this , there is no bad weather for turkey hunting.
You just got to do some scouting to find out where there roosting , feeding and struting , then set up accordingly.