Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Made My Own STS/MeanV String Suppressor....Cheap! >

Made My Own STS/MeanV String Suppressor....Cheap!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Made My Own STS/MeanV String Suppressor....Cheap!

Old 04-01-2008, 02:50 PM
Site Bouncer

Default Made My Own STS/MeanV String Suppressor....Cheap!

Hey all,

I've been bouncing around the idea of trying out an STS type string suppressor to see how it works so I decided to make my own and I wanted to tell anyone who is interested how to do it....cheap!

First of all you must have a bow with a rear facing bushing to do this. If you don't you're pretty much S.O.L. as far as this "do it yourself" project is concerned.

The first thing you need to do is go out and get one of these:

They are pretty inexpensive (about $8.00 to $10.00) and you can get them at pretty much any Pro Shop. All it is, is an old style cable guide rod that screws into your bow. Once you purchased this you need to go out and also purchase this:

This is (obviously) the packaging for an STS end piece. You know, that rubber string stopper at the end of the rod. It cost me $6.95 at my local Pro Shop. This along with the rod, Ihave a whole $14.95 invested into this project!

Next, I simply measured the distance from the rear bushing to the string and cut the rod to that length. Remember to take into consideration the amount of the overall rod length that screws into the bushing as well as the thickness of the rubber stopper when cutting the rod. Take your time and make sure your measurements are correct.

Once done you simply slip on the rubber end and install it on the bow like this:

And this:

And this:

And there you have it! The whole project took me about 10 minuets to do....Very simple! If you want, you can add a "Bow Jack" to the rod or any other kind of dampener or just leave it plain. Now this obviously is going to be black in color unless you can find a camo guide rod. I've seen them before but they are not that common. These black aluminum rods are all over the place.

So if you ever wanted to try out one of these STS/MeanV type string suppressors but don't want to cough up the big money for one, here is an extremely cost efficient way to get the exact same thing!

Good luck and good shooting.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Made My Own STS/MeanV String Suppressor....Cheap!

You are going to put them out of business with that learn along
Old 04-01-2008, 02:54 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

You are going to put them out of business with that learn along
Tell me about it....I couldn't believe how cheap the parts were.....makes you think huh?
Old 04-01-2008, 03:03 PM
Site Bouncer

Just another note about cutting the rod. You will have about 1/2 in of adjustment so as long as you are within 1/8 of an inchwith your cut you will be fine. In other words your measuring doesn't have to be perfect. The rubber stopper in my project was about a half inch thick, so I cut my rod 1/2 in shorter than my measured distance tothe string. Once I slipped on the rubber endIscrewed on the rod thenI locked down the rod with the locking nut. Mine ended up screwing in about half way before I cleared the string.Anyone who has ever had an older bow with one of these rods knows what I'm talking about. If you never had, once you see how it's attached you will understand pretty quick, it's pretty easy to install.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:14 PM
Typical Buck

BigJ71

Thanks for the tip, I will keep that in mind when I put one on my next bow, sounds easy also will keep an eye out for a camo rod now I know what to watch for. How's it dampen the shock and sound on your Mathews?
Rocky
Old 04-01-2008, 03:17 PM
Site Bouncer

I haven't even shot it yet, I just made it and put it on a few minuets ago (just before posting). I suspect it will be the same as any other suppressor of it's type....It's made from the same materials.I'll shoot it this weekend and report my findings....
Old 04-01-2008, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm SOL[&o]
Old 04-01-2008, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice BigJ, I may give that a shot, thanks!
Old 04-01-2008, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

WOW! thats a great job! Looks good! How does it work?
Old 04-01-2008, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BigJ71

I haven't even shot it yet, I just made it and put it on a few minuets ago (just before posting). I suspect it will be the same as any other suppressor of it's type....It's made from the same materials.I'll shoot it this weekend and report my findings....
interesting i'll be waiting bto hear the results after you shoot it

Quick Reply: Made My Own STS/MeanV String Suppressor....Cheap!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.