Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Made My Own STS/MeanV String Suppressor....Cheap! >

Made My Own STS/MeanV String Suppressor....Cheap!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Made My Own STS/MeanV String Suppressor....Cheap!

Old 04-01-2008, 04:59 PM

Default RE: Made My Own STS/MeanV String Suppressor....Cheap!

That's really cool. Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-01-2008, 05:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nice one BigJ, ya gotta love the build along threads and the satisfaction of actually making something for yourself, seems like it was about as easy to make as it gets! Ya probably saved a bunch of cash as well!
Old 04-01-2008, 05:06 PM

Wow thats cool thanks for sharing...I might have to try that!
Old 04-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Typical Buck

I made mine for my LD the same way. All for less then 15 bucks. It made a pretty good difference in the noise. I don't have any other suppressors on the bow at all.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

nice work, I have no bones with Mean V's prices though. I thought they were reasonable and he custom camo matches. let us know how it works.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:59 PM
Site Bouncer

Thanks guys,

Like I noted, if you want it in camo then you're going to either find a guide rod in camo (they're out there) or you will have to bite the bullet and pay retail for one. My Mathews has all black components so this fit in just fine.

As far as how it works, I have absolutely no worries. It will work exactly as all the other ones do......Why? Because it's made with the same components. In fact the rubber bumper is an STS component.Take a close look at the MeanV and STSsuppressors and you will see what I'm talking about. STS uses a bracket so you can mount it to either the front or back but other than that it's basically the same thing. I'm not aware if the MeanV is available for a forward mounting system like the STS buttheir rear mount suppressors utilize pretty much the same components as what I purchased right down to the locking collar, the only difference is the camo finish. All I need to do is go out and get a Bow Jack dampener for the rod and it will look very similar. There is one big difference however.....I wonder if you can guess what that is.

If your bow has a rear facing bushing and you don't mind the black finish this will only take you 10 minuets, a hack saw, some sand paper (to smooth out the cut) and a wrench....that's it.....Oh and about $15.00.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks good..nice work
Old 04-01-2008, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I second everyone else here, thanks for sharing. Looks better than a origional STS and a bunch cheaper too.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Looks great BigJ, nice work and thanks for sharing the info and pics! Seems like a very easy project just about anyone can do save some cash and feel good about yourself!
Old 04-02-2008, 04:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Agreed I have done the same. I work in an aluminum Factory,If I could find the rubber stoppers at a deal. I could make these basically for the cost of that stopper..and of course any time and labor I wished to add.

Custom colors would be as simple as finding an anodizer/painter/powder coater. It's not rocket science as they say.

Quick Reply: Made My Own STS/MeanV String Suppressor....Cheap!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.